Where is the best place to buy tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Yossi, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

Where do you get your tubes? I was told to try out different tubes on my Two Rock Emerald to see which sound the best to me. I would like to know if you recomend a dealer that you have good experience with.

Thanks,

Yossi

2. leond

leond Supporting Member

I've had good luck with Lord Valve.

He's very knowledgeable, good selection and good prices. Tell him what you have and what sound you're looking for and he'll help you out.

LeonD

3. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

+1 on Lord Valve

4. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
  5. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

I'll put in my vote for Lord Valve too !

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

LV gets my business, too. I've also done business with Bob at Eurotubes and he's great, too (LV is local to me, though).

I haven't done business with KCA NOS Tubes but they're supposed to be very good.

7. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

LV and Doug's Tubes were both super...

8. Jimi Ray

Jimi Ray Member

I have gotten awesome nos and excellent new production tubes from Lorenz Tang @ WI Wi tubes from hong kong he also sells on evil-bay pretty regular too.

9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Triode Electronics and Jim McShane both have good reps as tube dealers.There are links for their sites at the top of the webervst.com boards tube board as well as for other popular dealers like KCA and some informational sites as well.

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Lord Valve is my 1st choice, but I've also bought a bunch from KCA, though prices have gone up quite a bit...

11. frank52

frank52 Guest

if you have the time look at the salvation army, goodwill, junk shops, etc. for old tube stereos. and organs. i have found tons of really fine old tubes and speakers like this. where do you think the bigboy tube vendors get this stuff.

12. Erik

Erik Member

I give mad props to Doug's tubes.

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If you're looking for NOS guitar amp tubes, I have the largest selection on the planet (that I know of). The other guys have lots of new production stuff however.

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Yes they have and will continue to do so as time goes on and wholesale prices continue to increase. You'll notice that LVs prices have increased steadily just as everyone elses have.

15. rjgtr

rjgtr Member

I've had great service from KCA. I've also used Doug's tubes and he's good too. I've also bought from Tube Depot and been happy. I've used the The Tube Store, but their offerings are getting narrower and pricers are generally a bit higher.

I'll even get Ruby 12ax7s from MF if the price is good. These days I'm into GT-12AX7-Ms and KCA usually has a good price.

I've heard great things about Lord Valve, but I like having an inventory online to select from. I know he'll spam you with catalogs, but I like KCA and other's sites.

16. Jon C

Correct, I wasn't criticizing you & hope you didn't take it that way, Mike.

I meant that the price increases have made me happy I have a bunch of NOS goodies (much of it from you), and that I've been buying more current mfr. stuff where it's suitable.

In any case, you & LV are the "go to" guys.

Cheers,
    Jon

17. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Not saying anyone is "better" than anyone else, however, all the NOS tubes I've gotten from Mike at KCA have been great. The one exception was a preamp tube with an issue which Mike promptly replaced. He took my word on that one, he wouldn't even take up my offer to mail it back to him.

In a way, with me Mike's been a victim of his own quality. Haven't had an NOS tube go bad since I bought 'em so I haven't needed to buy more for quite a while.

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Damn, I hate when THAT happens! LOL...;) (just kidding of course).

Glad they're still crankin' Jon.

19. Jon C

Likewise, I have what would probably be considered a near lifetime supply for most non professional musicians, much of it from Mike.

The only tubes I've had go bad were non-KCA: a used/tested good RCA EL84 from a person I know, bought on eBay, and surprisingly, a NOS Mullard CV4004 from another (non-KCA, non-LV) reputable source (whistled, may be OK in a diff. position I haven't tried it yet)... so as Mike said, the higher price of good NOS stuff from a known source may be more cost effective than what looks like a bargain elsewhere.

Jon

20. reallylost

reallylost Member

I've bough several tubes from KCA and have never been disappointed.

His website contains a ton of information - as well as a list of tubes in stock.

Lord Valves' site contains no information at all.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with KCA.

John.