1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the best place to get aged strat pickups and knobs?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NeilYoung Fever, Dec 24, 2009.

1. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Im looking to put aged pickups and knobs to put on my olympic white strat going for a jeff beck look . I dont want them to be too aged if you know what I mean. Where is the best place? Here is an example of what I want. http://www.marksguitars.com/images/OlympicWhiteStrat.jpg

2. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Anyone know id dimarzio vintage strat pickup covers work with fender pickups?

3. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

As I recall, the Dimarzio pups are deeper than Fender... not sure though. I only had one set of D's.

Your pic looks like parchment colored parts. Not brite white, and not aged white (yellowish).

eBay has 'em. I just picked up a kit from [​IMG]Angela. $16 shipped is a good price.

4. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

are those different then the regular aged cover? I basically want it to look like a jeff beck.

5. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

The JB specs call for Aged White. The pics you have look more like parchment than aged white. Below are Fender product photos.

Fender White:

[​IMG]
    Fender Aged White:

[​IMG]
    Fender Parchment:

[​IMG]

6. dazco

dazco Member

I just got some and i think they are just what you want from that pick you posted and dirt cheap. I too wanted aged but not too much so that they look yellowish. Just darker white like parchment. Found them for $3.15 a set ! they are perfect. they also have the goldish lettering instead of black which to me looks more right. Go to http://www.tubesandmore.com/ and on the left click "knobs", then "fender guitar". They are part # [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]P-K523[/SIZE][/FONT]. They also have matching trem and switch knobs also cheap.

[​IMG]

7. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Nice! did the generic pickup covers fit as well and as good of quality as the licenced fenders?

8. 66fs

66fs Member

Just thought I'd mention I was looking for the same effect for my '57 AVRI strat. I did some searching and ended up soaking my white knobs, pu covers, and switch tip in strong black coffee for a couple of days. I think they came out great and the "stain" hasn't changed at all after over a year of use.

9. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

check out crazyparts.de or fatboy in the UK for some crazy faux bakelite. They both have ads going in VG

Andy

10. dazco

dazco Member

i didn't get covers, nor do i know if they have them since i didn't look for them. But i can tell you the switch knobs fit a american 5 way as opposed to the tiny blades on the import switches. So i bet the covers will fit fine. Actually, i have years worth of covers from imports to USA to this that and the other thing, and i have yet to run into any that don't fit the standard fender pole spacing. But if they have em, call them and ask. They are all players there and they are happy to talk to you. they guy even went back to the stock room to check the switch and trem tips for me to see if they color matched the knobs ! So they can tell you about the covers i'm sure. But I doubt they would be anything other than standard fender spacing. thats usually only the case with covers that come off some wierd import model or such, not when buying covers from a parts place.

11. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Seriously? How dark did they come out? Do you have pics? Im really interested in doing this.

12. greenlander

greenlander Member

+1 for Fatboy. His stuff looks great and he has 50's or 60's types.

13. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member