Where should I put an M5?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by direct, Jan 22, 2012.

1. direct

direct Member

I'm going in for shoulder surgery tomorrow and wont be able to play guitar for a while. I figured while I couldn't play I'd do all the changes to my rig that I've wanted to do for a while. So I'll be buy and selling pedals for a while. Essentially what I want the signal chain to have is a Compressor, Volume pedal, Wah, overdrive, distortion, clean boost, Timefactor, Carbon Copy, and an M5 for reverbs, pitch FX and some modulation. Having the M5 doing several different things is causing me to think about placement. I'd think for the reverbs it should be last but for the mods it should be before the delays and I know that a Whammy likes to be first so if I was going to use it for pitch things should it go first? Anyone doing something like this and want to share some advice or just know what to do?

2. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

I use it at the end

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

It was hard for me to avoid the smart-ass answers: where should I put my M5?

The problem is, I don't think it has an effect loop and I want my modulation before delay, but reverb after delay. So, you've got a conundrum.

4. direct

direct Member

What do you use yours for?

5. celticelk

celticelk Member

Use a T1M Flip-Flop and have it both ways, maybe? (Or two out of three, rather.)

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Unless he wants modulation and reverb at the same time.

In which case I would suggest getting a reverb pedal and using the M5 for pitch and modulation.

7. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Not to get off topic, but I hope your surgery goes well and that you will make a speedy recovery. :)

8. direct

direct Member

Thanks bro.

9. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Right. Being able to do both will make for purchasing another pedal, no matter how you cut it. But I agree with Heady - use it for pitch and modulation right before your delays, and buy a dedicated verb. Used Boss RV-5 or HoF get plenty of love around here, and pretty budget-friendly.

10. celticelk

celticelk Member

The understanding that you couldn't do both at the same time seemed implicit in the question to me, but I agree that if you need both, a dedicated verb pedal would be the way to go.

11. direct

direct Member

I'm now thinking of going the M9. It's not too much more expensive and I'll be able to use it as a stand alone for acoustic (a friend of mine does this with amazing results) or as the basis for a smaller electric rig for fly dates. Most likely, I'll only use effect at a time. Verbwise, I'll mostly use the shimmer and particle modes for ambience so I wont really use modulation at the same time but if I ever really need verb, mod and delay all at once I can use the M9 for all Three. M9 and a flip-flop seems like a good option at the moment. If I find I use the verb or mod a lot I'll look into a dedicated pedal for that and use the flip-flop to allow M9 to do pitch effects instead.

12. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

m9 is freaking sweet and easy to use. That looper would come in handy too and you can set-up a few scenes and switch on the fly if you find you need a couple more sounds.

13. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

I have an M5 and an M9. The M9 is last and I run my M5 (connected to a Mission Expression pedal) first in the chain. I enjoy having it first to act as a volume pedal, wah, or whammy/octave up pedal (and the occasional distortion model). I know it sounds like overkill, but it's incredibly flexible. It's handy to be able to go from a volume pedal at the beginning of a song to a wah or whammy (usually I set it to 1-octave up and use the pedal to control the mix) at the end.

14. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

do you have any issues switching between effects with the M5? Like if you needed a whammy and a wah for different parts of the same song

15. gulliver

gulliver Member

16. direct

direct Member

I got the m9. It arrived and is awesome. I don't have my delay pedals or the flip-flop at the moment so I haven't had the chance to fiddle around with the order yet.