Where should the compressor go in the chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by celestion101, Sep 12, 2005.

1. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Logic tells me to put it last just before the amp....that way you're compressing everything after the effects. It seemed cool at the last few gigs, but I'm not sure if it's "right". Suggestions? FWIW it's a Homebrew CPR. Thanks!

:dude

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Usually it's first, no?

3. celestion101

First from guitar or amp?

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

First in chain - right after the guitar, before other pedals (well, maybe after a volume pedal, if you use one).

5. celestion101

Really? So compress the signal prior to hitting the other pedals? Cool, I'll try it. Thanks!

6. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I have an Analogman Bicomp that can split the two sides. I run the Orange Squeezer second in line right after the wah. Then I loop the Ross side back around after all the drive pedals so I can add some squash on top of them if wanted.

Both sound great. I would recommend trying at the beginning of things... and then try after any OD pedals to see what you like better. I would try to keep it before any modulation or delays though.

For clean stuff I would recommend at the beginning of things because comps tend to amplify noise.

7. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

8. celestion101

Again, beginning meaning first from guitar or amp? Sorry, but I want to make sure I know what you're saying. Thanks.

9. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Silver Supporting Member

1. Which: Wah, Phaser (Those that sweep/boost/notch a frequency with your foot or electronically)
    2. Chain: Compressor
    3. Of: Overdrive (sometimes Compressors can go before OD, esp. if they are clean)
    4. Effect: EQ
    5. Pedals: Pitch (Vibrato, etc)
    6. Makes: Modulation (chorus, flange)
    7. Life: Level (volume pedal, tremolo)
    8. Easy: Echo, delay, reverb
      [/list=1]

The rules can be broken, though!

10. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

After trying many different routes, here is what I've ended up with for rock/pop/r&b settings. It works for me:

Guitar
    Vox wah
    E.H. Q-tron
    Barber LTD
    Xotic AC Booster
    Barber Tone Press
    Xotic RC Booster
    Analogman Clone Chorus
    Digitech Digidelay
    Pearce G2r
    Pearce 1x12"

I run wah/filters to gain devices (which I run from high gain to low gain), to compressor (on all the time), to clean boost (on all the time), to modulation, to delay, to amp. For what I like to hear and the equipment I have, this works best for me. Take your time, experiment, and listen to how your equipment reacts to each other and your playing.

David

11. celestion101

1. Awesome, thanks! It looks like I have it right except the trem and the Chorus. Everything else was always correct, I just never bought a comp pedal until recently. Cheers for the tips!

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

You can try anything you want, but the best place is first, (right after your guitar) unless your using a wah, than I would put it right after the wah.. The Compressed signal, should be your guitar, and your compressor, than going into other pedal if you wish.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

You try it every way possible, and you put it where YOU think it sounds best.

14. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Unlike other people here, I never put a compressor first. I takes away all dynamics. I put it between my OD/Fuzz pedals and my modulation/delay pedals. You can't roll off your guitar volume or get picking dynamics if you have a compressor before your OD/Fuzz pedals. Putting it after allows you to keep some dynamics before you squash everything. Unless you want a processed cheese tone.

15. MAZ

MAZ Member

Many people (myself included) put the trem last before delays (and AFTER chorus/modulation) because it's most amp like then. So don't switch those unless you like the sound better. IMO, it's cooler to trem the chorus than to chorus a trem!!!

16. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    Oops, I have the wah last in line :rolleyes:

17. celestion101

You guys have again proved to be awesome.......I'll play a set Thursday night with the CPR first, and then I'll move it between the OD pedals and the modulation pedals. I've included a picture of the pedalboard for review. It's hooked up like this from guitar to amp;

CPR> Tonebone (in the loop of the NS2)> Sparkle Drive> Drivetrain> Trem> Chorus> Delay> Tuner> Amp

[​IMG]

18. Robboman

Robboman Member

There's no 'right' way, but I think 90% of players put comp B4 OD because then you can use the ODs as boosts. If you have an OD that you use for lead, for instance, you probably want it to get louder when you step on it! If comp comes after, you turn the level up on the OD and it wont get any louder, just more squashed.

19. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Totally depends on how you set your ODs and your comp. I have them set so that my lead tone is when comp and any one/combo of my OD/Fuzz pedals are on. I roll down my guitar volume for clean, either with OD/Fuzz on or off. This gives me:

- Clean rhythm (comp on, OD/Fuzz off, guitar volume rolled down)
    - Clean lead (comp on, OD/Fuzz off, guitar volume rolled up)
    - Distorted rhythm (comp on, OD/Fuzz on, guitar volume rolled off)
    - Lead (comp on, OD/Fuzz on, guitar volume rolled up)

I have my comp set to only compress with the guitar volume all the way up, and even then it is subtle.

20. eknapier

eknapier Member

I have tried it both ways, and to me running the comp after OD/Dist is way too smooth and not enough bite. I like to hear the character of my distortions more, so I have them after my compressor. I can then use the compressor to either a. boost the signal of my overdrives or b. do the normal smooth sustain thing with lower volumes (i have my analogman mini bicomp set to do both). To me, the sound is much more open and less compressed "sounding" than with the compressor after the OD.