Where the eff can I buy a right angle/straight MIDI cable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Invisible Man, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Member

I only know of Best Tronics...and, while I know they do good work, I'm a little unwilling to shell out $50 for two MIDI cables.

I need a short (<3") MIDI cable with one straight jack and one right angle jack. The orientation of the straight end doesn't matter; the orientation of the right angle side needs to fit this kind of plug:

[​IMG]

Any ideas? I called Sweetwater, and their right angle cables have inconsistent orientations.

Thanks!

2. stilwel

stilwel Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. rck

rck Supporting Member

here's what I use as well as the $27 3' Bestronics Right Angle Midi Cords: http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSMID3RR?siid=134250&gclid=CNaFyLDqoMQCFZKLaQodt0YAwA

Each side is a different orientation, one being a "smile" and the other a "rainbow" like the side you are seeking. Maybe one of these will work for you or you can snip one end and place a straight plug on it for around $10.

The price of nice Midi cords are something else...

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

DIY. Easy enough to make.

5. MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage Member

It's true, but they have 5 wires and a ground, so they are even more difficult than a guitar cable to manufacture. The fact that most people want < 3 foot lengths is kind of beside the point.

The BestTronics ones are the best I've found, and I've been looking for 8 years.

The Hosa right angle ones are in a fixed position, so depending on the MIDI Jack orientation, the cable could be sticking straight up.

The BestTronics cables have an adjustable angle for the connection, which is brilliant.

.:. Bill

6. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

7. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

8. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

Thanks, guys! We buy these in LARGE quantities to keep the prices as low as we can. To the OP: We can get you any kind of MIDI cable you want. Straight plugs are significantly less expensive than the right angle type, so we might be able to save you a few dollars compared to our normal pricing on these guys. Email drew at disasterareadesigns dot com and he'll take care of you.

9. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Member

Thanks, Bill. For what it's worth, I'm splitting the pulse from your Tempode pedal to send it to the Moog MuRF & Analog Delay, an Eventide H9 and a Boomerang III. Loving it! Opens up a ton of new possibilities.
    [​IMG]

So: looks like it's BestTronics after all. I'll hop to it and get emailing.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

10. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Yep - love these right angle plugs with adjustable rotation. Not cheap, but worth it.

I wish I would have learned to solder 20 years ago - since I've been making my own cables, everything is custom length and reliable, and costs way less than pre-made cables. When I need a new cable, I can just whip one up - no shopping, ordering, waiting - I just need to keep a stock of cable and connectors, and replenish from time to time.

11. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The MIDI Cables that a Disaster Amps sells are from Best-Tronics BTW.

12. MoltenVoltage

MoltenVoltage Member

Love it!

We just got our first order of custom cables from BestTronics, I just haven't had a chance to take pictures put them in our store yet.

You can also buy direct from BestTronics.

.:. Bill

13. darkinners

darkinners Member

[​IMG]

I use switchcraft right angle midi plugs, they are reliable and very easy to solder.
    Google them.

14. BT Pro Audio

BT Pro Audio Member

For those of you rolling your own, we offer the cables and connectors in bulk as well - for a pretty reasonable price. The reason I am throwing this out there is that we also offer a mini gauge cable that is perfect for fitting your MIDI cables in your board and rack (much much easier to route).

Right Angle 5 Pin DIN Plugs - http://btpa.com/05DL5M.html
    Straight 5 Pin DIN Plugs - http://btpa.com/NYS322.html
    Standard Gauge MIDI Cable - http://btpa.com/1192A.html
    Mini Gauge MIDI Cable - http://btpa.com/CA-0363.html

15. rck

rck Supporting Member

ordered from BT Pro Audio several times and everything is always top notch from you guys. Thanks.

I missed where the OD of the CA-0363 mini gauge MIDI cable is listed on your product page and specs, what is it?

16. stilwel

stilwel Member

Those Amazon cables are hard wired so if it goes bad you can't grab a soldering iron and fix it. Also, you can't rotate the pin orientation of the Right-angle connector. So if it happens to be oriented right you'll be ok, but I've got 3 different orientations I needed to MIDI-fy my board. These simply wouldn't work for me.

Plus they are 6 feet long!

17. stilwel

stilwel Member

That's a GREAT deal on the Switchcraft R/A MIDI plugs. $2 cheaper than Redco!