Where to buy a complete Strat neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by michael patrick, Jun 15, 2006.

1. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Is there anywhere I can buy a completely assembled Strat neck? I don't want to hassle with installing a nut or tuners, I really just want to be able to unbolt the current neck and install the new neck.

I've got a '57 reissue Strat that I like the sound of, but I think I'd play it more if the neck was more like the one on my '62 reissue.

I've never attempted this sort of thing before, so I'm completely clueless... Any help on where to go would be appreciated.

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

In my opinion the nut needs to be cut after the neck is installed on the guitar
    with the gauge strings you are going to use.I would suggest buying the neck you want and then having a tech do the rest.

3. nland

nland Member

There is an ebay store called "The Stratosphere" that sells complete necks and they are authentic Fender necks. Seems like they get guitars, dismantle them, and sell all the parts. Do an ebay search for guitar necks and you'll come across a ton of necks from these folks. They are all in mint condition too. A bit pricey though...I've seen some necks go for over $400 depending on what type of strat they are from.

4. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Yeah, I've been looking at the prices and thinking I'd probably be better off selling this guitar and getting another one with a neck I like... :jo

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

probably a better idea.

i couldnt ever get myself to buy anything from those "guitar butchers" on ebay...eddie-vegas comes to mind in a big way....it seems like he gets nice vintage pieces and parts them out....argghhh...that pisses me off...its like seperating a family for christs sake!

6. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Warmoth claims they have a computer program which cuts the nut based on some mathematical formulas which guide a laser to make the cuts. They also have tuners which I believe they will install. I just got a neck from them yesterday and am anxious to see how good the nut job is. The neck itself is gorgeous. Give them a try.

7. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Normally I cut the nut myself, but once I got a Showcase neck from them with the nut already installed and it was really very well cut. I did re-touch it a bit because I dressed the frets (which obviously lowered them a bit), but without fret dressing it would have worked fine as it was.
    I very much doubt that.

8. supergenius365

I very much doubt that.[/quote]

You may be right about installation. There is no mention of installing tuners on the website. They do, however, sell various tuners and will drill the holes to whatever size you want.

9. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

ebay.

MIM @ $150-ish
    MIA @ $250-ish

price will prob include tuners.

no brainer 4 me.

10. supergenius365

My problems with ebay for a neck are
    1) A neck is such a personal and subjective thing. A seller's description of, say, "a soft V shape" might not be what I think a "soft V shape" should be. I want to feel it before I agree to buy it.
    2) You can't always return stuff from ebay. At least with companies like Warmoth and WD, you can return the neck as long as you don't do any work to it. It may cost more, but IMO the cost is worth it.

P.S. My MIA rosewood Warmoth neck was $139 before nut and tuners.

11. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

i'm pretty sure warmoth or usacg could get you what you want