where to buy a TS style pedal

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking for a basic Tube Screamer style pedal. This is going to be a beat around unit that gets lent out at jams so it needs to be in a metal case and fairly inexpensive in case it gets destroyed. I'd like to keep it around $50 or so, and I plan on buying used. As long as it works I don't care what it looks like.

I've been looking at the Ibanez TS9, the MXR M66 Classic overdrive or MXR M193 GT-OD, Perhaps another digitech bad monkey, or maybe a BBE green screamer... or perhaps someone else has a suggestion I could/should look at?

Would like to hear suggestions of what and where to get something along those lines. Thanks everyone!~

Heady Jam Fan

Why didn't I think of that?

:sarcasm:spit
But there will be 50 other suggestions...
OP will try the cheapest first...
When it doesn't sound right, the next most expensive...
And so on until 3 years down the road he finally caves in and gets an Ibanez.
Eureka!

At least thats how it usually goes.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
Well the issues arrive that

1 - no one sells a used Ibanez for $50 anymore [unless you're offering?]
2 - I definitely don't see a used ibanez for $50 in the emporium
3 - Its for lending out os no, I'm not going to buy a $400 boutique pedal.

O actually HAVE a TS9, a soul food, a MXR Prime distortion,, a bad monkey, and an original Klon Centuar, so my personal drive section is more than good - and I very rarely use ANY of them, I prefer my amp. In the same token I'm not going to loan my nice stuff out for slobs to drop beer on and beat up at jams in dives. Dig?

So I'm looking for a reasonable TS clone to loan out for reasonable prices, like I state din my original post, if you actually READ that.

Gosh, I'm sorry I asked I think.

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
Check Guitar Center's used section. They often have used stuff surprisingly cheap. Should have plenty of Tubescreamer variant options.

Heady Jam Fan

Well the issues arrive that

1 - no one sells a used Ibanez for $50 anymore [unless you're offering?]
2 - I definitely don't see a used ibanez for $50 in the emporium
3 - Its for lending out os no, I'm not going to buy a $400 boutique pedal.

O actually HAVE a TS9, a soul food, a MXR Prime distortion,, a bad monkey, and an original Klon Centuar, so my personal drive section is more than good - and I very rarely use ANY of them, I prefer my amp. In the same token I'm not going to loan my nice stuff out for slobs to drop beer on and beat up at jams in dives. Dig?

So I'm looking for a reasonable TS clone to loan out for reasonable prices, like I state din my original post, if you actually READ that.

Gosh, I'm sorry I asked I think.
A few times recently I thought of buying a used Ibanez TS9 and playing around with some mods. I looked on Craigslist a few times and saw several over the past few months listed for $60. Close to $50, maybe close enough to haggle down to $50. There is one at Guitar Center Cedar Rapids for $50, one in San Mateo for $60...

speedemon

Should be able to come close to $50 on a TS-9, just not a vintage one. BBE Green and other knockoffs GC stocks should be easily available for that used. Check fleabay if your local classifieds have nothing.

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
One more thing on GC: I buy stuff from all over the country, and I've never had a problem. I've had some things I ended up not wanting to keep, and you can take it back to any other GC within 30 days. Don't know anywhere else where you can return used goods, but I've done it multiple times.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
... There is one at Guitar Center Cedar Rapids for $50, one in San Mateo for $60...
My local GC and Sam Ash have nothing, but I'd never looked at the GC site online - never occurred to me. The $50 TS9 at the online GC in Ceder Rapids is PERFECT.

Good find on that one - THANK YOU!

My local craigslist is full of winners like a boss blues driver for $70 and "like new fender, missing one string" [squire bullet] for $250... :messedup

I'm going to go ahead and buy the one off the GC, that should be perfect.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Heady Jam Fan

My local GC and Sam Ash have nothing, but I'd never looked at the GC site online - never occurred to me. The $50 TS9 at the online GC in Ceder Rapids is PERFECT.

Good find on that one - THANK YOU!

My local craigslist is full of winners like a boss blues driver for $70 and "like new fender, missing one string" [squire bullet] for $250... :messedup

I'm going to go ahead and buy the one off the GC, that should be perfect.

THANKS EVERYONE!
For sure man!

Guitar Center online is an incredible resource - unfortunately, sometimes its so good because their employees accidentally rip-off unknowing customers, but I'll take cheap gear if I can get it! If you call, you can sometimes talk down the cost too.

Craigslist is hit or miss, but in Pittsburgh, we have a Facebook group of guitarists that keep bumping into each other on Craigslist. Putting a face to the name makes things more comfortable. There are probably about 800 members now.

PS - Music Go Round is also a nice online source, but it sometimes takes them about 3 days to test, pack and ship. Gotta be a little more patient with them.