• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Where to buy archtop?

John_O'Brien

Hi everyone. I am trying to make my next guitar a nice archtop for jazz, but am running into some problems as I don't know what brand to buy or where I can test one out! It seems every guitar shop around here (pittsburgh) only has gretsch guitars or epiphones and not really any archtops. I always like to try before I buy, so if anyone could recommend me a place where I could test some out I'd appreciate it. Also if you could list any models in the $1500 ish range that are worth checking out I'd appreciate it. Thanks

shikawkee

The One True King
Is Dale of American Archtops still making guitars? He makes brilliant stuff. I visited his shop in PA. Superb. Great guy too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

shikawkee

The One True King
Checked it and Dale is still making guitars just well out of your price range. I dig the Godin though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

tjmicsak

It would certainly be a drive for you but you could check Bernunzios Uptown Music in Rochester NY online for what's in stock and if you think anything really looks good then make the day trip to play first hand. It's a nice smaller store with a good selection of quality Archtops. I'd have to believe there would be somehting similar nearby in PA too.

scott944

Empire Music in Pittsburgh is an Eastman dealer. They make a full line of archtops, which get great reviews. I have one of their semi-hollows, which I picked up at Guitar Guys in Heath, Ohio, which isn't far from you, either.

Last edited:

NotWesYet

Lou at guitars n jazz has an outstanding reputation..
I bought an Eastman 371 from Lou via Ebay. Exceptional value and perfectly set up. When its time for another guitar, I will definitely check with them first!

http://www.archtop.com/ac_inst.html is worth knowing about, although nothing currently in their inventory is within the OP's stated price range. They seem to generally sell guitars in $7000+ range, with a few in the $2000 range.

I've been thrilled with a vintage Gibson 1958 ES-125T that I got last year for $1500. Never played an Eastman but I hear great things about them and would consider one.

Also, +1 on looking for used guitars through Guitar Center's website. Easy to search, often cool stuff turns up, good prices, and the ship to store option is great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom