where to buy bare wood cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drwx, Feb 24, 2008.

1. drwx

drwx Member

i'm going to be purchasing an amp kit soon and i'm looking for options for cabs. i'm really wanting to do a barewood cab (will be a headcab + speakercab), but I'm having trouble finding bare wood cabs. weber has them, but the 1x12 cab is really cubey looking. lopoline has them as kits, but again, really cubey looking. i'm looking for something that would be about the shape of a vintage 1x12 cab from avatar.

i know that some place has to have them with no tolex.

my idea is to stain the thing to match my transparent crimson strat that i got for christmas. i figured that going with bare wood would be cheaper than one already covered in tolex.

has anyone done this?

i'm looking to do this without breaking the bank on the cabinet. webers cabs are $60 less sans tolex.

2. joek86

joek86 Member

3. drwx

drwx Member

those look expensive as hell. i'm only gonna be doing the bare cab if it's cheaper than just buying a vintage cab from avatar.

4. csparks75

csparks75 Member

I'd be careful, and use the old saying "you get what you pay for". Anyone can slap together a wooden box, but not everyone can make a nice box with good joinery that will last. You could always try it yourself, it's not too difficult to do.

5. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Mojo built a TV style cab for me with no tolex and no handles.It consistently
    blows people's minds how beautiful it sounds with 4 Scumbacks in it.It records
    wonderfully.Excellent construction with birch and great joints.No farting out etc.It was about $450 before shipping.That's without speakers of course.

6. drwx

drwx Member

i'm really looking for something like the vintage avatar 1x12 cab. i dont think dave dove tolex-less cabs. those are only $219 loaded. his standard cube cab is $199 loaded, but would look goofy with a marshall smallbox style head on it. i'm going to be building an 18W clone.

the main goal of going sans tolex was that it would be cheaper and might look cool if i stained it to match my strat that is painted in transparent crimson.

with that said, i'm not gonna go sans tolex if i can't find one that is cheaper than the one from avatar that has tolex.

7. drwx

drwx Member

i'm looking for something that looks like this, but as a 1x12 instead of a 2x12.

this guy sells the 2x12 unloaded for $225+shipping, but he hasn't answered my emails.

[​IMG]

8. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Contact RL in FLA on the board here. Great work and more than reasonable prices.

9. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

Bob Burt is your man!

10. cubado

cubado Member

where is Bob Burt located ? ... cant find it on his site .

11. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

12. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

Check these out:

http://www.emperorcabs.com/

They're relatively cheap, but I don't think you'll find anything cheaper than Avatar. People who build cabs without tolex put just as much (or more) work into them as those with tolex, so that's not going to save you any money. They often use superior wood too, which will bump up the price.