where to buy bare wood cabs?

drwx

i'm going to be purchasing an amp kit soon and i'm looking for options for cabs. i'm really wanting to do a barewood cab (will be a headcab + speakercab), but I'm having trouble finding bare wood cabs. weber has them, but the 1x12 cab is really cubey looking. lopoline has them as kits, but again, really cubey looking. i'm looking for something that would be about the shape of a vintage 1x12 cab from avatar.

i know that some place has to have them with no tolex.

my idea is to stain the thing to match my transparent crimson strat that i got for christmas. i figured that going with bare wood would be cheaper than one already covered in tolex.

has anyone done this?

i'm looking to do this without breaking the bank on the cabinet. webers cabs are $60 less sans tolex.

drwx

those look expensive as hell. i'm only gonna be doing the bare cab if it's cheaper than just buying a vintage cab from avatar.

csparks75

I'd be careful, and use the old saying "you get what you pay for". Anyone can slap together a wooden box, but not everyone can make a nice box with good joinery that will last. You could always try it yourself, it's not too difficult to do.

Rumblefish

Silver Supporting Member
Mojo built a TV style cab for me with no tolex and no handles.It consistently
blows people's minds how beautiful it sounds with 4 Scumbacks in it.It records
wonderfully.Excellent construction with birch and great joints.No farting out etc.It was about $450 before shipping.That's without speakers of course.

drwx

i'm really looking for something like the vintage avatar 1x12 cab. i dont think dave dove tolex-less cabs. those are only $219 loaded. his standard cube cab is $199 loaded, but would look goofy with a marshall smallbox style head on it. i'm going to be building an 18W clone.

the main goal of going sans tolex was that it would be cheaper and might look cool if i stained it to match my strat that is painted in transparent crimson.

with that said, i'm not gonna go sans tolex if i can't find one that is cheaper than the one from avatar that has tolex.

drwx

i'm looking for something that looks like this, but as a 1x12 instead of a 2x12.

this guy sells the 2x12 unloaded for $225+shipping, but he hasn't answered my emails.

wv7.jpg

alaskagrown

Check these out:

http://www.emperorcabs.com/

They're relatively cheap, but I don't think you'll find anything cheaper than Avatar. People who build cabs without tolex put just as much (or more) work into them as those with tolex, so that's not going to save you any money. They often use superior wood too, which will bump up the price.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom