Where to buy DIY overdrive kits?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by machogriz, Dec 25, 2009.

1. machogriz

machogriz Member

I've been wanting to get more into pedal building and I'm wanting to find some kits to build. I know about buildyourownclone.com but nothing on there really interests me. Also, I looked into MEK electronics that have a zendrive clone and klon clone, but they're located in Germany, I believe.

Any other websites you can turn me onto that have pedal kits to build, preferably overdrive?

2. Schappy

Schappy Member

The BYOC OD-2 is supposed to be a great versatile tubescreamer clone.

Check out general guitar gadgets.

They have a tubescreamer clone for $54 and have a whole list of mods you can make to the pedal.

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

Solid choice! I like the General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 too. Both offer options for mods and both are quality PCBs with plate through holes - they'll both take plenty of desoldering/resoldering without issue (use a temp controlled iron and have at it). A TS808 may be tweaked to work well for almost any player. The BYOC has the added benefit of a dedicated support community where builders can find fast assistance from other builders. Users post lots of mods, many with clear instructions. You can't go wrong with either!

There's a complete L'DO clone mod for the GGG ITS8 kit in this thread, page 5. Complete this mod, swap the 3mm red LEDs for the listed 5mm red LEDs in the Marshall clipping mode, and replace the JRC4558D dual opamp IC for a Burr Brown OPA2134PA IC and you have a CJOD clone. Good stuff!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  4. machogriz

machogriz Member

cool, i'll check out the GGG stuff!