Where to find 1961 Gibson SG

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Codyyy, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

My buddy is looking for an original 1961 LP/SG Standard. I found a couple on Reverb but I don’t think I’m looking in the right place. Where would I go for a guitar of this caliber? Thanks.

2. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Reverb is by far your best starting point as it's an aggregate of many of the dealers you'd previously have been monitoring for new arrivals. Gbase is the other version but seems much less good at keeping up to date (if the store has electronic stock inventory Reverb can just link up to it so if it sells it comes straight off).

Otherwise I keep an eye on Lark St (they're on Reverb but new additions go up on the website first), Carter Vintage, Gruhn, Norms, and a few European ones. Elderly are probably worth keeping on radar although they don't seem to keep the level of electric stock they used to. If you're on Instagram then following a bunch of dealers occasionally gives you a useful heads up for new arrivals as well. But if you save a bunch of bookmarks and check every couple off weeks it's easy enough to keep feelers out.

If your friend is happy to pay high end dealer prices for one and has the money ready to go then contacting a few of the high end guys (Carter, Gruhn, Norm) and letting them know exactly what he wants might be a worthwhile move. If you want a deal you'll have to out the work in though!

quilsaw likes this.
  3. quilsaw

quilsaw Supporting Member

4. zhivago

zhivago Member

What the guys said ^^...if you want undisputed PAFs, it is safer to buy from a dealer than a private seller.

I went the dealer route a month ago and got a '63 Custom with three PAFs...sure, I paid a more than going through a private sale, but I have peace of mind when I look at the PAFs on my SG. :)

HoboMan likes this.
  5. 57gold

57gold Gold Supporting Member

zhivago, Vintage_ and FlyingVBlues like this.
  6. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

In all seriousness, educate yourself. Trust nobody, and ask a lot of questions. If a deal seems “too good to be true”, and you feel the need to act fast, slow down, because it probably is! There is no such thing as too much documentation. Make sure it comes with a guarantee to be authentic. Remember, its been around for 58 years now. If it shows up suddenly, out of nowhere, with no history, “something's rotten in Denmark”! Good luck with your search. It should be a fun adventure, but there are a lot of scammers out there!

7. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

For something that specific I would contact Jimmy Wallace in Garland Tx. If there's one out there he'll either have it, or know where one is.

8. mattyfraza

mattyfraza Member

9. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Southworth Guitars has two '61 SG Standard's for sale. I've been been buying vintage guitars and amps from Gil Southworth for over 20 years and he's an extremely knowledgeable and honest dealer.

noctilux1, csweldon and Peteyvee like this.
  10. 57gold

57gold Gold Supporting Member

Yup, bought my first two vintage guitars from Gil @ 28 years ago - the LP/SG and a Firebird V. Then traded a 1960 Strat for a 1959 ES345 and a 1957 ES175D.

He also handled my 1957 GT; it was photoed for the Orange Gibson Golden Years book when Gil owned it. Called him on it, he was pissed as he told guy he sold it to that he retained right of first refusal if he sold it. The then owner traded the GT and a XJ6 Jaguar for a Burst...he then told me that I should buy it if I could afford it as it was the cleanest early 1957 with cream plastic he had even seen.

He's a bit eccentric, so only talk to him if you are ready to execute...he has zero patience for tire kickers! But he's the real deal, one of a handful that really know their ****.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    FlyingVBlues likes this.
  11. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Gil is also very persistent! A couple of years ago a single owner 1960 Burst went up for auction. Gil really wanted it because it had been sold by a music store in Northern Virginia to an owner who lived his entire life in NOVA, the same area that Gil and I live in. I really wanted the guitar, but Gil wanted it even more than I did. Bids were in $5K increments and Gil kept on outbidding me and another bidder until we both finally gave up. The guitar had some issues and Gil had the skill, motivation and the correct parts to restore it.

12. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

Thanks for all the replies, I’ll check out Southworth. That one for 10k might be what he wants exactly.