Where to find a used Rickenbacker 4003 at a reasonable price?

hector

I'm looking for a 4003 Rickenbacker bass at a reasonable price.
I've wanted one for many years now.
Looking to spend under $1500.
Any color except fireglo.
Suggestions?

I will also post in the WTB classifieds.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Blanket Jackson

Every day is like Tio's birthday
Gold Supporting Member
You may want to rename the thread "Where to find a used Rickenbacker 4003 on the cheap?"
You said that $1500 and up is reasonable, but I at least presume that you mean to get one for less.

slave

Be careful.
If you're specifically looking at cheap ones 2nd hand, you run the risk of encountering counterfeits.

You can see the classified ads on TalkBass.com for free.
I would highly recommend getting a 4004 instead, unless you have a need for the stereo output.

hector

Be careful.
If you're specifically looking at cheap ones 2nd hand, you run the risk of encountering counterfeits.
The Ric bass is such a unique looking character. I would think it would be hard to make a "convincing copy".
On the other hand, I've seen fake Les Pauls, and that's a challenge too.

hector

You can see the classified ads on TalkBass.com for free.
I would highly recommend getting a 4004 instead, unless you have a need for the stereo output.
The 4004 is a stripped down version of the 4003. No binding, inlays, etc.
However, it's also more expensive, which doesn't really make sense.

The 4004 has inlays, but they're not shark fin inlays.
It has a normal bridge, but the best part is the humbucking pickups, which are super quiet & high output.

Roland G88

Tip from Talkbass.com......sign up at Musicians Friend for a backstage pass. Get on the mailing list. Wait for the 20% sale to come along and order.
There are a few Rickenfakers out there but the build quality gives them away.

hector

I just signed up for the backstage pass at MF the other day.
When is there gonna be a 20% sale?
I hardly ever even see 15%.

Floyd Eye

There are in fact some very good Ric fakes out there. Unless you know what to look for it is pretty easy to miss.

And it is faked with some regularity.

Jeff Scott

I would highly recommend getting a 4004...
Why is this?
The 4004 is a stripped down version of the 4003. No binding, inlays, etc.
However, it's also more expensive, which doesn't really make sense.
I second the 4004 series of basses. I have two and have had two others in the past; they are not just "stripped down" versions of a 4003: the contouring is really nice, they are very lightweight, the HB-1 pickups are fantastic sounding and dead quiet (although my latest 4004 Laredo SPC has toaster pickups in it, just my personal preference in tone), the Schaller bridges are excellent (I have been using them on basses since the early '80s).

Yeah, I compared 4003 and 4004 to my G&L on the same day & the 4004 could do things the 4003 only dreamed of, while the G&L could only do it in Active mode.

Jeff Scott

Brad, have you listened to the recordings I have made with the 4004L SPC that are on TB?

Last edited:

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I just signed up for the backstage pass at MF the other day.
When is there gonna be a 20% sale?
I hardly ever even see 15%.
They come up only a few times per year. Last one was around Christmas. The next may be the 4th of July.

If you don't want to wait, you can also get customer returns from MF under $1500. There's a Jetglo with minor signs of use there right now for $1472. Sign up for the rewards program and get 8% back in store credit = $1354 paid. The 15% and 20% discounts cannot be applied to open box items. The used market for Rics is just weird, since you can get them new for less than people try to sell them for used :confused:

…at least in my part of the world.

BigSB

The used market for Rics is just weird, since you can get them new for less than people try to sell them for used :confused:
I think with the possible exception of Squier beginner Strat-pack guitars, no instrument commands "I paid X, so I expect at LEAST X.5" like a Rickenbacker, be it a bass or a guitar.

Rics are cool; I used to own one. They do one thing super-well. That said, they are pieces of wood glued together and wired for electrical conductance. No special sauce.

The way some people act and price these things used, though (probably because there are so few Ric dealers), you'd think they had the Grail locked inside the Ark on the back of a unicorn.

Trending Topics