1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Where to get a good quality push/push or pull pot?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kingsxman, May 15, 2006.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

My last push push pot I have on my 335 copy just went south on me after only 6 months. I'm looking for a good quality push push pot that will last!! Anyone have any recommendations as I HATE having to work on this guitar. (335's are a PAIN to say the least!)

2. K-man

K-man Member

The only place I know of to get a push/push pot is Antique Electonics.
    http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Not sure of the quailty. I've had one in my Hamer Newport for a couple of months and it's held up so far. If I have to take that harness out one more time I'll shoot myself...

3. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Eh...sorry on my recommendation. I missed the "push push" specification and was thinking "push pull." All the push-push pots I've tried have been crap, so I don't have a suggestion there.

4. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Kman I hear you. I'm doing this for my Hamer Echotone and its a huge pain.

I may have to start another thread talking about whether to go push push or push pull. I've got a push pull in my PRS and Ive replaced it once already also. Maybe I should say hell with it and just put in a standart pot and a toggle switch. Its a Hamer echotone...not a Gibson.

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

The push/push pots I've used are from Warmoth (http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_potentiometers) and yeah, they are very fragile. I'm on the second one in my PRS and I'm kind of waiting for it to go boing! and break the latch that keeps it down again. This is something that adds insult to injury: not only do they break, they actually go North rather than South and stay up, which normally is the least used position.

The problem is that the more robust push/pull variety doesn't like press-on knobs for obvious reasons (you may remove the knob when you pull), but there's a way round that. Check out the next to last post in this thread, next to last paragraph:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=45522&page=3

Ive got this mod in my to-do list. One of these days (probably when the boing! thing happens). I've used push/pulls in other guitars with set-screw type knobs and never had a problem with them.

6. has-sound

has-sound Member