Where to get a new neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheClev, Feb 23, 2015.

1. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

After a long and unfortunate build process with a luthier, I'm left with a beautiful Tele guitar and a truly awful neck. So, where can I go for a good replacement? I've used Warmoth before, but are there any more affordable choices that don't sacrifice quality?

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I'm gonna challenge the premise that a wonderful new neck is going to make this guitar great, almost every time.

If I were you, I'd borrow a Squier from the kid across the street, and try the neck off his decent Squier on that loaded body and see what exactly you have there. If it sounds and sets up and feels decent, only then is it confirmed the body is in correct order. I would not order an expensive neck until you establish this first.

What I'm saying is, if a source can mess up the neck, then what assurance do you really have that the rest of the work is superlative?

3. cardinal

cardinal Member

^ yeah, good idea there. Bolt up a Fender-compatible neck that you know is at least playable and make sure everything is at least in the right spot (bridge/scale length, etc), then try to get it set up and see if something is fighting you. But assuming it set up and intonates, Warmoth, USAGC, and Musikraft are the big players it seems. Some guys on Reverb sell new necks for reasonable prices.

4. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Good thoughts Boris, but I've thoroughly gone over the body. It's not the problem. In fact, the body is beautifully finished and sounds amazing. The problem is sharp frets, an uncomfortably thin neck, a junk nut and generally poor workmanship on the frets. I'm confident a new neck will solve the issues with the guitar.

5. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

If your looking for something a litttle cheaper, look for a used neck in the forums. I've sold great USACG necks there for less then half of what I had in them.

6. Structo

Structo Member

7. Phila67

Phila67 Member

8. vandi

vandi Supporting Member

I have ordered necks from USACG, Musikraft, Allparts, and Warmoth. My vote is with USACG.

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I'm curious as to how you know how the body sounds.....

BTW Fender sells necks now. They make a pretty good Telecaster I'm told......

10. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

What I mean is the guitar sounds amazing, even with the bad neck.

11. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

say what you will about Mighty Mite, but I've bought 3-4 necks from them and have been happy every time. My fave is a 22 fret lefty strat neck with jumbos(nicely polished from the place I bought it through), a bird's eye board and abalone inlays. I think I paid around 200.
    Any features you have to have?

12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Okay, gotcha.....based on my experience the neck has a lot to do with the sound of a guitar, too......

13. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

I'd prefer to have a flamed maple neck with a rosewood board, maybe ebony, and no inlays. The inlay thing is a must.

14. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

I would say Allparts is the best quality to price neck out there but you seem to want some custom features. Because of that a USAG or Warmoth would be the route you need to go. I would vote for Musikraft but they aren't cheaper.

15. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Warmoth gets my vote.

16. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

17. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Yup.