Where to get AC adaptor cables?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mbratch, Feb 10, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I bought a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus recently. Great unit that removed my noise problems through my pedal board. However, it only comes with in-line (straight) connectors. And, of course, most pedals have their AC in the back, right up against the front of pedals in the second row of a pedal board...

So, I'd like to get some kind of right-angle connectors. Voodoo Labs, after charging about $180 for the power supply, wants $10 each for right-angle cables. Does anyone carry generic adaptors that are cheaper than this?

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Stompin-Ground charges $9.95 per cable for right angled versions.

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

They call them "custom cables" like Voodoo Labs does. Maybe these are Voodoo labs brand (?).

If they're all custom (which surprises me... I would have thought right-angle would be the one in higher demand and supply), then perhaps I'll just have to cruise RadioShack for parts to make them. I need 4 of them, and I couldn't see spending another $40 just on the power cables. Sorry, I'm just cheap. ;)

4. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hey, I just got one this week also. Here is what I did. If someone thinks what I did is potentially a problem, please let me know

I had an extra One Spot daisy chain and separated out a section with 2 right angle plugs. I cut off where each additional plug begins as close to the plug as possible. I made sure the bare wires did not touch each other and covered the bare spot with electrical tape.
    I essentially got two complete right angle adaptors and have 1 right angle plug with a cut end left over. I plan to go to Radio shack and getting another straight angle plug to attach to it.
    I noticed that the PP2 works better with straight plugs coming out of it.

What do ya think?
    Nick

5. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I can't remember but I think digikey sells them, make your own (on one end, the other end is molded) and save some cash.

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

Radio Shack may even have them, you just solder the ends on. If not, order a catalog from www.mouser.com and you will have a ton to choose from. Radio Shack can help you find the mm barrel size for ordering the correct connector. Find one that fits and read the package.

7. doomy3

doomy3 Member

Cool! I have been looking too. Thanks for posting this link. $2.95/cable is an awesome price!

8. dbx

dbx Member

You could also make them yourself, any decent electronics supply store in your town should have them...

9. mbratch

mbratch Member

Those are designed to make a 1SPOT compatible with Line6. I think the adaptor they show reverses the polarity.

10. mbratch

mbratch Member

I tried RS, and they didn't have anything for right-angle for DIY. I'll check Mouser and DigiKey as you guys have suggested.

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

12. mbratch

mbratch Member

Thanks BillyK. Great link.