Where to get cool tolex?

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
I have a amp I want to recover, I see the basic covers available but not the cool gator type stuff, that for example Carr uses.

Where do I find cool tolex?

Thanks,

Simon

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
Mojotone has a pretty large selection. Click on each color/style to see more options.... http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/tolex-tweed-colors

You also might look at fabric shops and automotive interior supply shops. Who says that you have to use tolex?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I've considered re-covering one of my amps and am interested to see how it turns out....

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Mojotone has a pretty large selection. Click on each color/style to see more options.... http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/tolex-tweed-colors

You also might look at fabric shops and automotive interior supply shops. Who says that you have to use tolex?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I've considered re-covering one of my amps and am interested to see how it turns out....

Thanks! I've recovered a few amps in my time and enjoy it for some reason.

I recovered a Sovtek head and 4x12 once with tolex from a automotive place,http://www.yourautotrim.com/snprfale.html so that's a good suggestion.
I'm looking for the cool gator or croc type stuff that I see on Carr amps

Last edited:

Alton

Try these flavors: http://www.fabricempire.com/aligator-vinyl-fabric.aspx

Another idea is to cover your box in upholstery leather. If you select a grade or two thicker than upholstery leather you will find it just about as easy as genuine Tolex to work with, it will be very durable and takes on a "patina" as it ages. Mesa Boogie uses leather corner guards and you can buy some from them. For maintenace of the leather you can use a food grade bee's wax based oil to oil the leather. It's a hard oil (like butter) that liquifies as you use it. It doesn't go rancid and has a very, very light, pleasant "cinnamon-like" odor to it.

Tweed coverings are just a shellaced fabric of a specific pattern. Think of what you could do with a Sponge Bob print! How about a red velvet? I'd stay away from a chintz though. You could probably find a black and white check pattern and use a white (clear) shellac over it for a checkered flag look. Really, the possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

buddyboy69

Look for tolex. The vinyl does not take to the adhesives like tolex does. It's more expensive but it works better with the adhesives. Anything less will stretch too much and will separate from the backing, and or bubble up and generally be a pain in the ass to work with. Plus tolex takes a hit better than vinyl from the fabric store. I make guitar cases and have been through a number of materials. Tolex. Upholstery fabric is not the same. Tolex was originally made for car tops and is much tougher than upholstery material.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Look for tolex. The vinyl does not take to the adhesives like tolex does. It's more expensive but it works better with the adhesives. Anything less will stretch too much and will separate from the backing, and or bubble up and generally be a pain in the ass to work with. Plus tolex takes a hit better than vinyl from the fabric store. I make guitar cases and have been through a number of materials. Tolex. Upholstery fabric is not the same. Tolex was originally made for car tops and is much tougher than upholstery material.
Are you saying the stuff from the automotive places is vinyl and not tolex?

Like this place?
http://www.yourautotrim.com/exprvi.html

mute

I googled "toolex" and got a lot of hits, including the ones Carr uses - you might have to look past page 1 though.
Some where on Ebay as well.
Did this when ordering a Redplate ADD + cab. The particular choice I made, dark green crocodile, had to be gotten from two places and ended up taking some time - very happy with the result.

EFK

What about the cloth/material XITS amps uses? Does anyone know if that available anywhere?
You can get pretty much any type of 'designer' textile you'd like through Pallas Textiles (google them). The Xits stuff, the chilewich type stuff Morgan uses etc. However, most of it is VERY expensive compared to traditional tolex, on the order of $40 to $70 per yard. Also, much of the coolest-looking stuff is basically upholstery fabric, not a vinyl like tolex, so you have to be concerned with glue bleed as well has adhesion (I find it much easier to peel off). Also it will stain/tear quite easily compared to tolex.

They also sell many types of upholstery vinyls that would look GREAT and have a typical tolex-like vinyl surface, **but** the problem there is a heavyweight white cloth backing which will show at the corners and doesn't look good because it's practically impossible to hide well unless you are using very light-colored patterns.

Trending Topics