Where to get Jeff Beck strat coil tap buttons

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by clintb, Feb 21, 2012.

1. clintb

clintb Member

Does anyone know where you can get the type of button used on the Jeff Beck strat for coil tapping?
    [​IMG]

Right now I've got a guitar I wired up with 3-way mini toggle switches on each humbucker pickup. The 3 switch positions are for Off, Humbucker, Coil tapped.

I sometimes find it hard flipping the mini toggle switches with the fingernail side of my finger because my fingernail often slides right off the switch.

I was thinking that replacing each switch with a pair of mini push buttons might be more user friendly. Each button could turn on/off a coil in the humbucker.

Buttons that light up when they were "on" would be even cooler.

2. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

You used to be able to purchase them from Fender via distribution, I did, ?I think from "Parts is Parts" or something like that, but it was years ago. They have to be glued to the guard. IMO they are not an improvement over mini toggles. A mini toggle you can flick in the natural extension of your wrist. The button requires more thought. But that's just one opinion.

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

4. clintb

clintb Member

Thanks for the alternate viewpoint.

5. clintb

clintb Member

Thanks for the links.

The push-push pots would be great for switching between humbucker and coiltap, but I need 3 way switches so I have the option to turn a pickup off. You see, I no longer have the switch for switching between pickup positions.

6. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Remember that's just an on/off switch for the inside rear pickup. The Guitar has 4 separate Lace Sensors. The S1 switch would work well. Just figure out wich poles are connected in series to the center switch. run the ground wire through those poles & then to ground. Push on, Push off.

7. socalscott

socalscott Member

ehm...coil splitting please. Tapping is actually selecting a smaller wind within a given coil.

A Superswitch(rotary) and Blender pot will do wonders too.