1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to get PRS backplate screws?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 85db, Jul 13, 2010.

1. 85db

85db Member

Anybody knows where the after-market PRS backplate screws can be purchased? Their thread is different from Fender's. PRS does sell them but only with backplates...

2. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

You're talking a Custom right,,not SE? And I think they're quite a bit longer than a fender but thread-wise it's still a wood screw so you should be able to use any screw that fits. With that said however, I know the need to keep it original. I'll check work today and see if we have a stash.

3. 85db

85db Member

Yes, they're longer than Fenders. The thread feels different too because Fender screws get stuck in those holes.

My PRS is a pre-factory CE-24. My understanding all of them always used the same screws though.

4. 85db

85db Member

Exchanged a few e-mails with PRS Customer Service. They couldn't tell me the thread/length of their screws and pointed me to Stewmac and Allparts instead. Stewmac and Allparts pointed me back to PRS. PRS told me I can buy the backplate kits and get all 9 screws I want. Those two kits are only $70 total :D.

5. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

That's only about $8 per screw. After all it IS a "PRS" screw. No seriously you should be able to find stainless steel or zinc plated versions of the same screw just about anywhere. They are just sheet metal screws with an oval head. Probably #4 Phillips x 1/2'' length. Just guessing I don't have one here to measure but there shouldn't be anything special about them unless you must have plated in nickel or chrome or gold.

6. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

Sorry,,,I dropped the ball on this one and forgot. I'll check my stash at work Monday

7. 85db

85db Member

I was hoping to just order them and be done with it... but ok... I had to sit down and figure out what they are. These PRS screws are nickel (steel?) plated #4 Philips (oval head) x 5/8". Even though now I know what they are, I am still unable to find them. Doubt Home Depot would have them.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Do a Google search for "Fastener" and maybe your zip code and I bet you will get some results.

9. R. Turner

R. Turner Member

McMaster Carr industrial supply house...

Bob Pollock likes this.
  10. 85db

85db Member

Was the first place I checked. No luck there.

11. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

,,,and no luck at my shop, sorry :(

12. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Don't feel too bad. The 6 brass screws for a PRS trem sell for about $50. And because they have a specially machined groove right below the head there is no hardware store equivalent.

13. dilznik

dilznik Member

Did anyone ever figure out where to get these? I suddenly find myself needing 9.

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

15. dilznik

dilznik Member

16. walterw

OK, so like regular fender pickguard screws, but skinnier and longer? (i genuinely don't recall what PRS backplates used, coulda sworn it was those humbucker mounting screws i linked...)

17. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

18. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

Ron Thorn - you're awesome!

19. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

And so is McMaster Carr. Ron's post is nearly 6 years old and the link still works!

20. walterw

and actually allparts now sells those "pickguard screws but way longer" that PRS uses.

one thing i always appreciated about PRS is how they used extra long screws for things like backplates and strap buttons, that way they never strippped out.