• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Where to place clean boost

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Disaster DPC-5, 4 drives, mobius, nemesis mini wah, comp, mooer pog clone, and a reverb. I want a mini or regular sized clean boost to give more clean solo volume. I dont want it to alter gain stages. I typically go

wah > comp > POG > mobius > DPC5

Loop 1 - Low gain Drive
2 - medium
3-distortion
4 - muff
5 - empty

I run my delay and verb in the amp fx loop. Heres my question:

I was told cleanest positioning of boost is last in chain of fx loop. Is this correct?

What Im more curious is that I want to I corporate my boost in my DPC-5 patches. So if I put it in the fifth loop and run my delay with midi.... does that mean the boost is after drives but before delay? Or is there sway to change that order? I've run it that way before and didn't like how my clean boost smoothed out my drive sounds or brightened up. I tried several boosts as well.

If not, maybe I snag a source audio eq, connect that as midi too and leave after delay?

Any suggestions welcome

Last edited:

MoonshineMan

Yup. At the very end, as far back as you can make it. MAAAAAYBE put a volume pedal after it, to be able to adjust the boost on the fly, if that sounds like something you'd use.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
I found I like it after the last drive pedal. That way I can use it a solo boost if I am otherwise using the drive pedals in the song.

stinkfoot

Personally, I prefer clean boost (when used as level boost for leads) after dirt, but before delays etc. That drives the delays a tad harder too, so you get just a hair more feedback when you play lead. In this case, I'd run it after the DPC-5 (so it's not part of any programming, and therefore available at any time).

This puts the clean boost in front of the amp, which will work great as long as you're not running the amp itself too distorted. If you also use the distortion channel on the amp, you may have to move the booster to the fx loop to get more volume out of it. In that case, I'd run it first in the loop, again to make the level hike slightly change the way the delay responds.

If you find that a clean boost changes your tone too much, or just makes things too bright or with too much lows, you can always substitute the clean boost for a good EQ pedal. That would let you not only boost the level, but also tweak the tone a little. Rolling off a little bass and treble when playing lead can really make the guitar push through, without you having to hike the level as much.

Mullenski

Agree; at the very end if all you're looking for is volume boost. Used to have mine in front of delay, but was concerned that hitting the delay with the boost could do weird things (can you cause a delay to clip?), so put it at the very end in the loop.

By the way - cool idea with the Source Audio EQ. It's a great pedal and you could preset several different levels/types of boost all run off of MIDI!

Ev O)))

I've used em all over. At the end to bring up everything, to drive a dirt pedal, with a big knob as a MV one one side of a dual chain board, as the output stage of a preamp pedal whose output stage **** the bed, to drive a dirty channel of my amp. Placement will totally depend on how you want the thing to interact with the other **** you have before and after it.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
By the way - cool idea with the Source Audio EQ. It's a great pedal and you could preset several different levels/types of boost all run off of MIDI!
That's why I'm leaning toward that - so I can also EQ certain things out, not just volume and I can place it after delay if that's where it ultimately resides.

Thanks all for your help.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom