Where to place SP Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deftgala, Feb 13, 2015.

1. deftgala

deftgala Member

Bought an SP Compressor by Xotic today but won't get a chance to add it to my pedal board until next time I'm at the studio.

I use an EP Booster to drive my clean signal and its on all the time. Where do I place the compressor f I want to use it as a solo boost? Do I place it before or after the EP?

2. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

I'd think what would matter more would be the placement of the SP relative to your dirt and delay, if either or both are used for solos (you may get varying volume of each depending on location and amount of compression). When you say the EP drives your clean signal, do you mean shapes its tone, or drives it harder into the amp for breakup as a base tone?

3. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

You put it at the place where you want to shave off some dynamics.

Before the boost is where I put mine, so that when I want to turn it on, it is squashing dynamics at the source. But really, you can put one anywhere you think you'd like to squash the dynamics. Right after a boost though, seems a bit counter productive. The boost will just cause the compressor to go into compression with lighter playing. In a practical sense, the boost will change the threshold of the compressor if the playing is all the same. I don't know how useful that would be. I did have a pedal board with 2 boosts, one before and after the compressor, but not because I had any use for a boost before a compressor, but only because one boost was on the stage at my feet and the other boost, along with the compressor, was back in the rack on a bypass looper. I never found any use for turning the boost on in front and the compressor together, but having the boost on after the compressor was useful at times.

4. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

+1

I have my first 3 loops on my board:-

SP Comp -> EP Boost -> SL Drive

Works great, plenty of flexibility!

5. deftgala

deftgala Member

Thanks for the sight guys.

Actually, I've got two channels on my amp: one clean and the other dirty. I keep the EP Booster on at all times because I like how it shapes my tone; it gooses my drive channel and takes my clean tone to the edge of breakup.

I just want to place the SP in the correct spot to use as a solo boost.

Would the SP work as a solo boost if placed in the effects loop?

6. deftgala

deftgala Member

+1 I now own all three. I'll try this out eventually

7. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I run mine first after my tuner and before dirt.

8. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

Wah > Fuzz > OD > SP > everything else

9. sixrails

sixrails Supporting Member

I use my SP Compressor before my distortion pedals but I don't use it as a boost, I use it to add sustain and to cause my distortion pedals to have more gain. If you want to use it strictly as a volume boost then it will work best after your distortion pedal. Flip the switch to low, turn down the blend, and turn up the volume.

10. deftgala

deftgala Member

Okay cool.. Thanks. I want to make sure I've got sustain on my bends and vibratos for sure

11. deftgala

deftgala Member

Maybe I'll use the EP as a solo boost instead.

What if I kept the SP on all the time to goose the overdrive and clean channel instead of the EP. Will the SP have the same effect on tone as the EP does?