Where to put phaser in the effects chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kortlanda, Jan 3, 2008.

1. kortlanda

kortlanda Member

My current effects are a Carl Martin Quattro ver. 1 (Comp, OD, Trem, Echo) with a Carl Martin Hot Drive'n Boost Mk3 and a Carl Martin Chorus xII in the Quattro loop. The loop is serial between OD and Trem.

Now I'm adding a CM 2WAH and a CM Two Faze to this setup.

The wah will go in front of the Quattro, but what is the best position for the phaser?

2. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I've always run my phaser before my overdrives and distortions. Try before and after and see what you like better.

3. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

it's a judgement call. The phaser is a sort of multistage filter effect so most people will tell you to put them before any distortion probably right after your wah, but I like the sound of an overdriven phaser so I put mine after.

4. Free

Free Member

It's simple really: if you want a more subtle phasing effect run it before an OD, fuzz or preamp device. And, if you want the phasing to be more intense and defined sounding run it after an OD type effect. This order in conjuction with OD/preamp effects applies all time-based effects - chorus, flange, etc. Time based effects on their don't have much of a tonaly impact in order of running them, but you never know what might happen, so TRY. But the OD pedal thing I mentioned is a definite.

5. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've tried my phaser before and after my OD pedals and prefer it after my dirt boxes. i like the sound to be more pronounced and hitting it with a hot signal from one of the ODs definitely does that....