Where to put RC booster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by svanangen, May 20, 2006.

1. svanangen

svanangen Member

Ok, here's the line-up that I got:

Guitar->Strobostomp->Boss T-wah->BB preamp->Zendrive->Tremster->Boss VB-2->Line6 MM4->TC chorus->Line6 echopark->Boss DM-2->amp

I'm adding an RC booster and so far I've come up with three alternatives:
    1: between the T-wah and the BB
    2: between the Zen and the Tremster
    3: at the very end after the DM-2

My main goal with the RC is to use it as a volumeboost and sometimes to add a little grit.

Where would you put it?

2. trazan

trazan Member

How about in between the BB and Zendrive? I'm not familiar with the Zendrive though, usable level boost with the RC depends on how much the Zen compresses, but this configuration would give you a pure boost for the BB and more drive with the Zen.

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've got an RC, BB, Zen, and I am probably the Lone Ranger on this, but I llike the RC first in my chain. If you NEED to have the wah first, for impedence reasons, then go with that first.

I love the sound and feel of going straight into the RC 'cause it gives an aggressive characteristic that I can't get putting it later. Using it first kicks up my single coils so everything after it gets pushed harder (a good thing) and it's a great line driver.

I'll probably be the only one that votes this way, but hey, it works for me.

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

I use the RC at the end of the chain...it won't effect headroom on some of my pedals this way, when using my strat.

5. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I use the RC after my other drive pedals but before my Trem.

6. svanangen

svanangen Member

I think I'm leaning towards this option. At the moment...

7. psykobzi

psykobzi Member

Hi guy sorry to hijack ;-) Is someone ever try a phaser in FXloop? As for boost I have a Boostiest and I run like this: Wah (buffered), Dynacomp, Boostiest, TC chorus, Phaser, tremolo. My phaer and trem are in the same loop of my SS SBlade and as Tremolo sounds bettre in FX loop, I'm thinking to place the phaser there too. Otherwsie, I would have to plug it differently. Just curoius to get you feedback before going forward. :RoCkIn

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I use it dead last; even after delay. Works like a charm.

9. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I use my boost in the loop (after everything).

It's an MXR Micro Amp. I use it strictly as a volume boost for solos. I've found that it is much more consistent there. If it's in front, the amount of boost is heavily influenced by the amount of gain I'm getting out of the amp from clean (a fair amount of boost) to dirty (virtually none). Also, I seem to get more boost capability out of it in the loop as well.

I'm considering an RC boost, based on the stuff I've read here.

Another thing I've noticed (and this is a little aside), My Voodoo Labs Tremolo makes a fantastic clean boost! Turn all of the modulation off, and it adds a nice shimmer to the sound with a little extra gain. Maybe it's just anything that's driving the power tubes a little more...