Where to put Timmy in the chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by taylorman22, May 8, 2015.

1. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

Yes, I know that it's all about what sounds best with my setup, but curious if there is a preferred place to put it. Better to put it at the beginning to eq the signal right up front, or after the drive pedals to clean up the signal before sending to the delay. Drive pedals are...

Fulldrive 2
    Gain Changer
    Timmy

Probably gonna use the Timmy as an always on pedal.

This is a new setup, so I don't have it together yet to test out.

2. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I like mine best after other drives & I use it as an end boost. I find it best as an end boost, especially due to the backwards EQ - so I can cut highs.

3. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

Completely agree. The Timmy's EQ is great and seems more effective after other drives.

4. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

mine is my last dirt pedal and before all modulation because of it's transparency and eq ability

5. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

I was thinking it might best at the end. Will probably go right into FD2 > gain changer > Timmy > volume, etc. will probably use the tuner out to connect the tuner rather than putting tuner at the beginning in front of the FD2.

6. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Same here. Put it last in your gain stage as it's a really great boost to just give you more oomph for big leads or bigger rhythm work too.

7. Nicks

Nicks Member

Doesn't the FD2 have the boost covered? Do you need both on your board?

At the minute I have a Fulltone 69 >Jeter GS124 > Timmy > Morgan RV35. The Jeter gives the drive and the Timmy is set for a cleanish boost. The Fulltone 69 is enough on it's own!

Combined with the volume knob on my guitar, there is a big range here.

Nick

8. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

Yeah, the FD has a boost. It'll be good for lead stuff. I'm planning on leaving the Timmy on all the time as a low gain/boost pedal and eq. Use the Fulldrive for light gain and the gain changer for medium gain. I also have a morning glory I'm gonna try out as well. The FD is staying, but can only afford to keep two of the three (Timmy, gain changer, and MG). Plus, I don't need 4 drive pedals. Three is really overkill for me anyway. But hey, isn't that the TGP way? :)

9. Nicks

Nicks Member

So, if you are leaving the Timmy on and boosting with the FD2, the FD2 should be last???

10. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

That's kinda why I was asking about the order. I probably won't use the FD boost much. I bought it for the TS tone. The FD is kind of a staple for what I play.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

For an "always-on" I tend to think of them either as an extension of my guitar (and thus first) or my amp (and thus last). Not to go right back to your first statement but it's hard to say which use of the Timmy will suit you better.

FWIW I tend to think of an "always on" as part of the guitar and make it the first thing my pickups touch. But I only use one drive pedal so it's a simpler construct than yours.

One other thing to keep in mind. The Timmy EQ is so broad and flexible, and full-frequency, if it were me, I would put it first. If you put it after other drives, you are feeding it a pre-EQd signal and thus taking less advantage of its full capabilities. That may not matter in practice but jumped out at me.

Good luck and have fun.

12. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

If it's an always on drive I'd want it as early as possible.

13. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

That all makes sense. If I'm using it as a regular dirt pedal, then last in line makes sense. If it's an always on pedal, first in line might be best to make a nice clean boosted signal into the other pedals.

14. jordane93

jordane93 Member

As others have said, put it at the end of your drive chain if you want to take edvantage of the Timmy's EQ. I havemy Timmy right before my clean boost

15. Grenville

Grenville Member

That's where I have it, it makes my other drives shine in a way they don't if I have the Timmy first.

16. JJCrowe

JJCrowe Member

where?

anywhere.
    :rockin

timmy excells as a booster/od either up front or at the end, just has different results depending on your setup.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Can you elaborate? The Timmy EQ is purely "cut". So at the end, it can only cut whatever signal is left from the ODs and other pedals in front of it. At the front, it can cut starting from the full range of signal coming out of the guitar. So to me if the EQ is what you want to take advantage of, front seems more natural.

Not saying your wrong, just want to understand your point better. Thanks.

18. Smashies

Smashies Supporting Member

You're both right.

It depends on what you want the Timmy to do. I put mine as the "last say" in my dirt chain for two primary reasons, one of which is the cut controls. To me, depending on the drives I'm using before the Timmy, my lows can get too muddy (esp with a celestion blue) and the highs can get too shrill (see previous parenthetical). The cut controls help me tame the overemphasized frequencies while providing an almost-clean volume boost (the second primary reason I place it where it is).

If I put it first in my chain, it's adding more gain than volume than if I put it at the end of my chain (all other things being equal) but many folks prefer that--they prefer to have the Timmy's gain-pushing characteristics shine through, and no doubt, they are great, and I miss out on that aspect of the Timmy by having it where I have it in my chain, but I'm okay with that.

Different strokes: I guess that's the main point I'm going for here.

19. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Basically, the treble and bass cut knobs are extremely responsive so I kind of use it as an "EQ" for the rest of my drive pedals and it helps to fine tune my sound.

20. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

I like it first, but I've found it does great anywhere you want to put it.