Where to put wah in the Chain???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheNightMoose, May 23, 2020.

1. TheNightMoose

TheNightMoose Member

Ok, on another thread I learned a valuable lesson about placement of FUZZ. Because of that Ive moved the TU-2 to the end of the chain, but Ive always run the wah 2nd. Where now? heres what Im doing:

FUZZ>Octave Fuzz>OD(Archer)>OD(Plumes)>Chorus>Trem>Delay>Reverb>Tuner

Where should I place the Wah within that chain????

2. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

i generally prefer germanium fuzz before the wah and silicon fuzz after a wah at the front of the chain.

i mainly use silicon fuzz at the moment and i would put the wah in the front out of convenience but the other day ran univibe>wah>fuzz and it was pretty excellent

saltbird and TheNightMoose like this.
  3. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Wah first in my book... always.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  4. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

It really matters which fuzz and which wah we're talking about. I recently bought an EVH wah, which I actually love, and was delighted to find out that it's true bypass and it sits first in my chain. Right in front of my famously fussy fuzz factory.

Normally that's just not going to work but a non buffered true bypass pedal should be fine. And it's usually only certain old school germanium fuzzes that are picky about that.

I'm also a fan of keeping the tuner last as well. Read it in a guitar mag years ago. Good for playing live when your signal cuts out. Check the tuner, if it works you know your board is passing signal.

5. saltbird

saltbird Member

Where it sounds best?

These kind of questions confound me. Is it that you don't have a preference one way or the other so you're just wanting to know what the general trend is? In that case I'd put germanium fuzzes (or any fuzz that's sensitive to being up front in your chain) before it.

What's best though is to put it where you like it the most. Shouldn't take much time to figure out with 8 pedals.

6. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I like to put my wah after my octave. I have a fuzz-friendly wah. So, for my gear it’s Oct>Wah>Fuzz
    I can use them all together because I have a fuzz-friendly mod on my wah. There are wahs that are not true bypass, and these need to go after the fuzz regardless of weather you want to use them together or not. I like wah as close to the beginning as possible, because I like it best feeding into overdrive and fuzz.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  7. TheNightMoose

TheNightMoose Member

Ive got it first right now, before the new JHS Smiley and an EH Octavix. It sounds fine there, but I was just after a consensus or a "rule of thumb" if there is one.

8. The-Kid

The-Kid Member

In da Front.

TheNightMoose likes this.
  9. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

There's only one thing I will eventually change on my big board...I want to rewire to have my wah AFTER my Fulldrive instead of before. But it's been five years since I've done anything to that board, so......