• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Where to put your Rangemaster in the chain (D*A*M Red Rooster)

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I just got a DAM Red Rooster from a fellow TGPer and I really like the crunch it adds after my Sun Face and before my LGW and Timmy. I've never had a treble booster/Rangemaster pedal before and I'm trying to figure out where it should go in my chain, especially in relation to my compressor.
Does it need to come before any buffers like a normal fuzz?

I was thinking of putting it right after the Sun Face, but then if the comp is on, it will limit the boost. So, maybe I should go:

wah>Octron>SunFace>PGC>DAM Rooster>Maxon PH350>LGW>Timmy>Vibutron>Ad900

Any ideas?
thanks!

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Right after my Comp, Wah and Vibe. I use an HBE Germania.

Guitar>Comp Retro>Vox 847>Univibe>Germania>Direct Drive>NS2>BF3 Flanger>CE3 Chorus>Amp

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I run my Beano Boost just after my wah pedal and before my other dirt boxes...FWIW, if you run a buffered pedal (like a Boss pedal or a TS, etc) BEFORE it it will get VERY bright and harsh...

pepperco

May I be the first to say........put it FIRST !

The best part about Rangemasters and Fuzzes
is putting them first, and using the guitar volume
to vary the crunch.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
May I be the first to say........put it FIRST !

The best part about Rangemasters and Fuzzes
is putting them first, and using the guitar volume
to vary the crunch.
You know, I've been running it right after the SunFace tonight and really liking it. The whole reason I have the Sun Face on my board is because it cleans up better than any other fuzz I've had. Putting the Rooster right after it allows me to really control the crunch and fuzz of both with my guitar volume. Having the compressor on right after them doesn't bother me at all. Of course, it is the PGC set very light, so it is not like I have a big squish going on. If I had the comp between the SF and the Rooster, it would take away from my ability to vary the fuzz with the volume of my guitar. I don't see using the comp with the Rooster too much anyway, but it works fine coming right after.
I really like the way the Rooster interacts with my LGW and Timmy. It adds a nice upper end crunch and really sweetens the treble frequencies.
I've already rearranged my board and velcroed (I think that's only a verb here at TGP) it on.

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
After the wah.... you willl have more control of you tone...

duende

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely put it before all buffers. Some people like Treble Booster before fuzzes, some people like them after. Personally, I lean towards putting them after as I think it makes the fuzzes more biting and gnarly, but putting them before fuzzes has it's benefits too.

Glad you dig the Red Rooster, I think it's one of the most versatile boxes made. Great how you can easily dial in more low-end with the range control. Also the internal trimmer allows you to drive the germanium harder if you want more of that vintage clipped germanium tranny sound.

Best,

Alex

Trending Topics

Top Bottom