Where to sell a few guitars?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by skipm45, May 3, 2015.

1. skipm45

skipm45 Member

I'm moving and I have to thin out the herd
    I have several Gibson guitars that have modest value and I was wondering if anyone had an idea where to sell them ( Ebay? Reverb?) Most of my Craigslist sales have left me with the impression that they are not my target market.

Thanks,

Skip

I work on amps and sell stuff for amps...

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

The market is pretty slow right now, so either be very patient or price aggressively.

eBay has the best exposure but high fees and a very buyer-friendly return policy.

Reverb has lower fees but less exposure. A bit better service for sellers.

3. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

eBay is the best if you don't want to wait. Most stuff sells on eBay the first week if priced right. Look at recent sales and then price them accordingly.

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

CL sucks. All scam artists and lowballes. Try Reverb.com. Much better than Fleabay these days.

5. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

I'm having remarkable luck on Reverb lately. Most of my stuff is selling within a week, and most of the offers I get are reasonable. Reverb's selling fee is much easier to take than eBay's.

I still use eBay some, only for guitars that don't seem to get much traction on Reverb or TGP Emporium.

6. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

How do you check recent sales on Ebay?

7. geoangus

geoangus Member

do an eBay search for whatever it is you're trying to sell. When the list of all current items is displayed, on the left side of the page, you have a bunch of sorting criteria (color, brand, condition, price range, etc). At the bottom of that list, you'll see "Show Only", which includes the options of completed listings and sold listings. Click on sold listings, and eBay will return a list of recently sold items that match your initial search.

8. takodaone

takodaone Member

Do NOT USE Ebay unless you have absolutely no other choice. And I mean no other POSSIBLE choice. If you are a seller you are completely open to getting ripped off. It only takes one person with the know-how to work the ebay system and you are had. At the very least your money and item can be tied up for weeks. If they are higher end guitars you might consider either selling them to Dave's Guitars or consigning them to Dave. Lots safer than ebay and probably about the same cost.

9. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

eBay sucks for a lot of reasons. You will be charged listing fees even if your item does not sell. If you do sell, your money may be tied up for a while if you have no history. And after eBay closing fees, you'll realize you might have been better off using Reverb.

10. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Never had a significant problem on eBay and I've bought and sold a lot; feedback is 400+. Consignment is the worst option for me - high fees, slow return, and minimal exposure.

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

TGP Emporiumz work well.

12. sanrico

sanrico Member

Price fairly and any outlet will work well.

13. Scott L

Scott L Gold Supporting Member

Your lowest cost to sell is right here. PayPal is the biggest expense.The buyer's do know the market here,

Reverb.com is the next best alternative, net cost is @ 7% of selling price, and everyone want's to negotiate, so give yourself some room.

14. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

15. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

This ;)

I'd also list them on
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Agreed.

Between TGP and Reverb, I've been covered pretty well.

Price according to market, not what you'd like to get for it, as unfortunately, those two rarely seem to converge.

17. korby

korby Member

Craigslist will work if you price it the same as ebay completed listings , the flippers will bite pretty quick if you price it $200 under ebay completed listings . Tax time , vacation time , before and after holidays no one buys anything .