Where to start for great hybrid picking?

Alpione

Silver Supporting Member
Always wanted to get into the style. Love to watch others do it, and for a while I was at least semi-adept at fingerpicking acoustic. Not usually into country, so does anyone have something more in the blues or rock direction? Country suggestions welcome too, however.

I’ve been playing my Baja Tele more lately and it politely requested some more hybrid stuff. :)

TB72

Pete Anderson (either with Dwight Yoakam, solo, or any of his other projects).

David Grissom (another absolute monster. He's worked with a ton of people...Joe Ely, John Mellancamp, Storyville, Dixie Chicks, etc. etc.)

Greg Koch (This guy's almost TOO GOOD).

You can find instructional vids from all three of these guys. I've learned a ton from them over the years.

FuzzyAce

Gold Supporting Member
Brett Garsed and Greg Koch are both masters of hybrid picking, yet both have very different styles and are highly original. Great place to start, and end really. They're big influences for me as I do a lot of hybrid picking too. It will open up a whole new level of note accessibility, especially if you're a legato player or someone not too heavy into alternate picking. Another person to check out would be Marshall Harrison. He has a technique called swybryd which is basically combining sweeping, economy and hybrid techniques, giving him the ability to pull off amazing arpeggios and note groupings that just aren't feasible at blazing speeds using alternate pickup or other techniques alone. It's a whole different level.

sws1

David Grisson has a good lesson on TrueFire.com that does a lot with hybrid picking in a rock context. That was the lesson that started me on the path.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
I started hybrid picking because I needed to sell the lick to Spirit in the Sky on the fly. That chugging A riff, alternating between the A string and the coupla-string lick bit, was the perfect starting place for my hybrid technique.

ieso

My whole style is organized around hybrid picking in a roots, rock, prog, and metal contexts and I have a free book on it.

Jaddy

Always wanted to get into the style. Love to watch others do it, and for a while I was at least semi-adept at fingerpicking acoustic. Not usually into country, so does anyone have something more in the blues or rock direction? Country suggestions welcome too, however.

I’ve been playing my Baja Tele more lately and it politely requested some more hybrid stuff. :)
You might check out Richard Thompson.

strat62

Brown Eyed Girl is an excellent one to get a hold of

2nd suggestion. Learn the outro to American Girl. Come back when you have that down, and you'll be on your way.
I've been playing that for quite a while, but I still have no idea what "hybrid picking" is.o_O

edit: I actually had to look this up to discover it's something I've been doing for 40 years. I just never knew it had a name.:confused:

Last edited:

Alpione

Silver Supporting Member
2nd suggestion. Learn the outro to American Girl. Come back when you have that down, and you'll be on your way.
That one is definitely on my list. My daughter plays at School of Rock and this season her "Rock 101" band is doing several Tom Petty tunes including American Girl. Good stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

El Rey

Gold Supporting Member

I use it across the board. Definitely not limited to country.

I love hybrid picking. But I also mix alternate and economy with it.

Great tool mixed with the other two.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I started playing pick and fingers tears ago and kind of naturally have a VanWaylon style (product of my age and upbringing) I don’t have crazy chops, by a long shot, but I’ve always considered hybrid picking to be the best of both worlds for most pop-rock styles, as you can get simultaneous piano type chord plucks (instead of just quick strums) as well as the articulation of a pick. Just my personal preference.

I think Doug Seven is a fantastic player and instructor.

Trending Topics