WHERE to start?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jumpskirt, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jumpskirt

jumpskirt Silver Supporting Member

I am thinking of leaving the cozy world of my Line 6 Flextone II and going for a "real" amp. What this means is giving up all the built-in effects on the floorboard, and starting from scratch. I play in a cover band, and do everything from Motown to Evanescence. Really, I use 4 or 5 different sounds: clean, dirty, dirtier, clean with chorus, and throw in tremelo and delay.
    So, for starters, a volume pedal, a tuner, a delay, a mid boost drive of some sort, distortion, chorus... it's overwhelming to think of putting this all together.
    Has anyone else had to do this? Any suggestions?

2. entraind

entraind Member

What is your budget? What kind of Guitar and Amp are you using?

3. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Welcome to the light!

4. Sid

Sid Member

oh man i am doin it right now....

even i go all the way from jazz to blues to metal...

thought of gettin myself a blues jr. or a 65 reverb(too big for indoor practice?)

the screwdriver,barber small fry/DD look like very cool pedals..the bjf line if u got the cash...for metal...the guyatone metal monster/blackstar look appealing...

i personally like the medicine bawl wah a lot...the soundclips are just what i am looking for...

the byoc delay sounds nice so does the cmats delay......

retrosonic chorus ensemble is an amazig chorus pedal imo....

there u go:RoCkIn

5. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

I would start with the amp -- what amp can give you the sounds you want. If that amp has multiple inputs (like the Super Leads) then you can set a channel to clean and one to dirty and go from there.

6. jumpskirt

g3rmanium - that sounds like a good place to start - get an amp and see what it will offer.

To answer an earlier question - I use a bunch of different guitars. I probably went too far down that road trying to get a good tone out of my Line 6 set-up (like the tail wagging the dog). Budget is not THAT much of an issue - I am willing to invest to get a good, working system.

7. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

I did that for nine years. :jo

8. Sid

Sid Member

multi effectors are for the player without any sort of touch..i realized that when i played on my first analog pedal:BEER

9. el34power

el34power Member

Well. For a working man's budget. I will vote for....
    Crunch box for Distortion.
    Blues pro as a dirty and solo boost...Placed after the Crunch box.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

For chorus, see if you can land a Boss DC-2. I never cared too much for chorus until I heard one of those babies. IMO, it kicks the CE-1 (which the retrosonic is cloned after) right out the door.

Word on the street is the Boss CE-20 twin pedal does a great emulation of both! And of course you'll run your chorus in stereo like a good boy, right?

For delay with versatility, check out either the Boss DD-20 or the Line 6 Tonecore Echo Park. If you don't require tap tempo in your delay, you must get an analog delay. The Diamond Memory Lane, though it has tap tempo, is truly excellent. If you can find a boss DM-2 as well, go for it!

I've found for simplicity, it's easier to find an amp with a great clean sound and use pedals for dirt. It's very difficult to find an amp with the great clean AND dirty sound you desire for a reasonable price. I also feel that for most rockers, they settle on a clean sound to get a sweet distortion sound (a la the Mesa Boogie or similar).

Great clean and pedals is the way to go IMO. This also means less reason to use the FX loop, which can be a pain.

For tuning, PETERSON STROBOSTOMP! You may think it's ridiculous to spend 200 bucks on a tuner, but after you get one you'll realize how foolish such lines of thought are.

I'm not even going to touch overdrive pedals, as there are so many and you'll get more than enough suggestions.

For hard distortion, I have yet to hear anything that beats my Tonebone Hot British. You can also have a look at the Proco Rat (see if you can find one from the 80s. I see them on our very own emporiums all the time for $50)

For a great boost pedal, you owe it to yourself to try out a Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso.

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

I agree that a two channel amp is best, you'll be able to cover more tones that way. I would start listening to as many clips as you can and try to develope the tone in your head you'll be looking for. Once you get in the ball park of the tone you want, try to find music stores and friends that have the amps that can get you there. You'll eventually fall in love with one and it will be a no-brainer. From there, do the same thing with pedals to refine your tone. Of course, don't under estimate speakers, cabinets, tubes, pickups ... all assuming you're happy with you're guitar.

One pedal I will recommend is an H&K tubefactor. That pedal is like a seperate preamp section and it can probably make your line 6 sound great.

12. jumpskirt

This is very helpful! I did have a Peavy Classic 30 a while back (a lifetime ago, it seems), and I recall the effects loop being a real pain to work with.

Also, I have heard that there is a particular order to put the pedals in that works best, and all I can recall is that delay mods go LAST. Do I have that right?

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Personally I always like to start from an amp with great cleans and reverb. Generally 2 channel amps I find that the clean is not to my liking (I like a Fender like clean, 6L6 mostly)
    I'd start by trying to find a place with large inventory of all kinds of amps, wail on em a bit and see what direction will fit you best.

15. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

ok, let's think: you'll probably want a couple of different gain levels available, as well as a boost.

get yourself a good tubescreamer. (what good setup is complete without one?) for solos, and mid-gain

maybe a fulltone OCD or a paul cochrane tim or timmy for low gain

get a MI audio crunch box, a hermida zendrive, or another good high-gain pedal

get a ZVEX super hard on, a catalinbread super chili picoso, or a BYOC triboost for a boost

now onto other stuff:

wah? get a fulltone clyde wah, or a teese picture wah

delay? the line 6 echo park is versatile, has tap tempo, and a relatively small footprint (especially compared to it's big brother the DL-4). lots of people here like the diamond memory lane. lots of other people here like the maxon analog delays. heck you could just use a boss dd-3. they sound OK, are very rugged, and you don't have to think about it much.

tremolo? well, that's opening a barel of monkeys. i like the fulltone supa-trem. people like the redwitch tremolo a lot. just about everyone has been happy with their Cusack Tap-A-Whirl. i build a BYOC trem and love it.

chorus? another barel of monkeys: i don't have much experience, so i will let other comment on this

phase? well, of course you want a script 90 phaser. that's the standard, right? i built one from BYOC, and it sounds great.

oh, and as far as tuners go, just suck it up and get yourself a peterson strobostomp. they are the most expensive, but the most acurate, and TRUE BYPASS, as well!

ask someone else about amps. i have used only three amps in my life, and the third one i have used for almost six years (1965 blackface fender princeton amp)

16. outoftune

outoftune Member

even though it isnt too popular around here the gibson ga30r is a good amp... i got the head from someone on the page and i love it. the one i got has 84s in it and it has a really nice clean plus a boost for that, and a good overdrive plus a boost for that which takes the overdrive into a good heavy sound. it also takes really well to pedals, i've used the crunch box and the sparkle drive with it and it sounds really good. there are definitely better amps out there but as far as a 2 channel (with boosts for each) one it has to be one of the most underrated out there.

also i enjoy my visual sound h20 for shorter delays and akai headrush e2 for longer ones a lot.

i plan on getting the byoc tremolo soon, as it is a good bargain, check it out

17. ChasR

ChasR Member

Hey there.. caught your comments from June 18 2006 about your Peavy Classic 30 tube amp.
    I saw one in the same model at my local Guitar store for $400.
    I am on a working man's budget and this seems to fit my price range. I will probably start with effects such as a Tube Screamer, Fuzz, Wah, , Overdrive and a Delay of some sort.
    Probably will not buy much else for quite a while ("puh..yeah sure"):rolleyes:

I have decided to move over to playing a tube amp because I like the sound. What are your other thoughts about this particular amp in ref to value against function, sound, quality...etc?

Other member comments are encouraged and welcome. Thx, Seryph7

18. jumpskirt

Hey Seryph7. I recall the sound of the amp was great, and was a great deal at the time, and probably still is. I have only tried a handful of tube amps, and I still think the Peavey 30 is one of the nicest sounding of the bunch. I may even take another look at them. I would think it would serve you well for the "base" tone you're looking for. At the time I tried it out, I had my first experience with an effects loop, and my impression was that it was a pain in the a** -- that's a refletion of the whole loop thing, not the amp, itself. Have fun!