Where to start.

Otto Tune

I've got a minty American Deluxe Fender Strat that I thought about selling.
Never left my house, stored in a soft case. I just don't play it.
So today I get it out to make sure there's no crackly pots and to my surprise, the volume on the neck pickup is very low. Maybe down 20 db from the center or bridge.
I've decided to trouble shoot it myself. I think all the guts are attached to the pick guard.

Any tips on what to check? Obviously, I'll look for a broken wire on the five way switch or the neck pickup or a cold solder joint.

Seriously, I don't see how it goes ka-blooey without moving.:confused:

SPROING!

That's weird.
Is the neck pickup way out of adjustment? Seems odd that you're getting signal but at a volume loss.

Otto Tune

That's weird.
Is the neck pickup way out of adjustment? Seems odd that you're getting signal but at a volume loss.
I can't imagine. It's been in a soft case sitting on a stand for a couple years. Everything looks normal, no noise in the pots or switch. Just very low output from the neck. I could turn up the volume and make it sound normal, but then the other two blasted me out. No hum, no buzz.
It's a S/S/H completely stock Fender P/U's. Never been tweaked by anyone.

I could take it to a luthier, but I think I'll dive in and carefully take a peek inside. I imagine the switch comes before the volume pot, so I'll meter things from the P/U to the switch.

Dreaded solder eating termites?

SPROING!

You got me. Without having it hand, it's pure guessing. Time to put on your Sherlock Holmes hat.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Start by moving the switch back and forth a whole lot. Work the other controls while you are at it. Spray the switch with pot cleaner if you have it.

Otto Tune

Start by moving the switch back and forth a whole lot. Work the other controls while you are at it. Spray the switch with pot cleaner if you have it.
Yep, moved the switch a hundred times thinking it sat and got corroded, but no joy. (No dirty crackle either.) Yes, I have a can of deox-it. I'll try a shot before opening it up.

SPROING!

You realize this means you need a new set of pickups and wiring harness. Time to go shopping!

Trending Topics