Where to store mic and instrument cables...need your advice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jon71203, Sep 1, 2008.

1. jon71203

jon71203 Supporting Member

okay guys so i have alot of mic, speaker, and instrument cables, along with a couple of snakes. i currently have them stored in a closet in the house, but we have our first little one due in a couple of weeks and we could use the extra storage space.

that said the only place to really put them is in our garage. is it really hard on the cables to sit in the garage throughout the winter.......summer too for that matter? i have them coiled and in milk crates. any advice would be appreciated guys. thanks a ton.

2. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I use an old wooden beer case.....useful and looks cool too. Find one on the 'bay. Make sure it comes with the lid.

3. bchamorro

bchamorro Member

4. jon71203

so if its in the right case the garage is a safe place to store them?

5. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Keep them "with your gear"........makes sense, nu?

6. jon71203

what do you mean???? my gear, pedals, mixers, keys, etc are all in the house, but i have like 6 milk crates full of cables and snakes and as i mentioned in the first post, i'm trying to make room in the house by moving the cables to the garage. so keeping them with my gear isn't really an option. thats why i was asking about the garage.

just to clairfy, do you guys think its okay to store mic cables, instrument cables, snakes, etc, in the garage? i live in indiana.

thanks sorry if i wasn't clear before.

7. jon71203

thats what i was afraid of

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Just trust your common sense, some place dry. You know your garage, we don't... maybe they'd be fine. I keep my road gear in my garage on shelves. For my studio I got a big-ass 3-drawer plastic bin on casters at some discount store.

9. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

There's a reason why studios have a mic closet, and not a 'mic milk crate/wooden beer crate in the garage'. Mics should be stored in climate controlled, humidity controlled environments. Diaphragms and ribbons do not do well in large temperature fluctuations and high humidity.

Well, maybe not an SM57. You can store those in a toilet water tank and they'd probably work. I don't necessarily endorse or recommend that, though:)

10. Structo

Structo Member

An old suitcase works well.
    Get some Velcro cable ties and use those after you wind them up to keep them neat.

There is a method to winding cables so that they don't get tangled. Too hard to explain but I am sure that a google search will prove fruitful.

If you want to get fancy, buy a mic case with the foam interior with holes in it for mics and a separate compartment for cables.

11. GP_Hawk

GP_Hawk Member

I think jon71203 is strickly refering to "CABLE", not mics. In any case, storing cable where temperature fluctuations can be extreme is not a good idea. If in your basement, put a humidity gage up and keep it around 45 percent. Your cables will be happy and last a long time. Cables aren't cheep especially those snakes you got.

12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I just moved into a house after being in a tiny post - divorce apartment for two years. During that time, I left many many cables in a cardboard box in a storage closet outside off the deck. They're all back inside now and they survived the winters and summers very well, all of them working properly.
    I also have carried my tube amps in my trunk for 40+ years without any premature tube changes and hang my guitars on wall hangers without ever having one fall.
    I think that we over think things around here way too much.

13. bigroy

bigroy Member

I keep my mics ( two 58's, one e609, and one 57, along with my ebow) in a $9.00 molded plastic pistol case with foam interior. Get em at Walmart. I I carry them in my gig bag. Cables are in the utility room with my PA. I keep my amp in the house, along with my guitars.

Don't leave your instrument anywhere you wouldn't leave a baby. But the cables don't seem to suffer much.

14. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Get a cheap footlocker you can lock.

15. jon71203

i'm not looking to store anything other than cables....the mics and other gear stay in the house.

16. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Your cables will be fine in the garage.

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Here's what I have done when storing cables in a basement storage room; admittedly a garage is more extreme, but I think this will work:

With cables, temperature changes aren't much of a problem, unless the weather is absolutely extreme (at some temperatures the rubber sheathing on the cable can actually crack, but we're talking REALLY cold for that). But you want to avoid condensation and humidity changes, simply to avoid rust/oxidation on the plugs.

Store the whole bunch in a large plastic storage bin that's as close to air tight as possible. I have some from Rubbermaid that I got at Home Depot years ago that work fine. I've seen clear plastic ones designed for storing documents at various places that have a snap on lid that would work fine as well.

If you're really extra-careful, get some of the largest size ziplock bags. Coil each cable and store them in the ziplock bags.

Note that some cables do not like certain plastic bags, and become sticky. The standard black Mogami and Monster stuff stored fine, but some of my specialty cables, like Blue mic cables and AudioQuest speaker cables, became sticky.

So if you have cables like these, with obviously different sheathing materials, just leave them in the storage box and separate them from the others with a layer of paper towel or newspaper, etc.