Whereabouts of a couple Baker guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Blauserk, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

By any chance does anyone know the whereabouts of these two beauties today?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B1 #WW013[/FONT]

[​IMG]

and [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B1 #296[/FONT]

[​IMG]

Biding my time until the next batch of B3s starts becoming available.

2. LOCUSTFIST

LOCUSTFIST Member

try ed roman

he makes them now...in korea

3. rickboot

rickboot Member

I don't know where that first one is but I wished it were with me. What a gorgeous instrument. I'll give Roman a call to get one made for me.

Yes. I'm kidding.

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I own 6 Original Bakers. - I want more!
    But I dont have either of those.
    -Ed Roman Sucks!

5. JZWest

JZWest Member

I'm really diggn the B3. Just trying to figure out which one.

6. anyone

anyone Member

I have 291. It's crazy how similar the tops are to the ones you posted.
    [​IMG]

7. emjee

emjee Member

I own two B-1's, and man am I glad I grabbed 'em when I did!:) Because there is NO way I could come up with enuff cake for one of his new ones, though I would love to try one. 1Radical, have you changed out any of the p'ups on any of your Bake's? Both mine came stock with Dimarzio Virtual Vintages, and am thinkin' about changing to maybe Lollars or Rolphs. Gene is not only tops in his field, but seems like one helluva nice guy. You know how some people just seemed to be destined from a very early age to do a certain job? Like when you see a 10 yr old math whiz and you just know he's gonna grow up and becomes a mathematician(SP?), or a Nuclear physicist? Well, IMHO
    Gene was put on this planet to take the design of the best axes of the golden age of guitars and merge them into a more modern, aesthetically pleasing model for the new century. Drawing on his experience at Gibson AND Fender, Gene came out with a cross between the two and make it his own design. IMHO, I think the body shape on many of the newer high end carved top set necks
    are inspired by Gene's original body shape. I.E. Briggs, Schroeder, etc. Its the ultimate form of flattery. All IMHO, YMMV.

Matt

8. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Indeed I have swapped Pups in a few Bakers. - I have tired of the dark and overwound tone of Dimarzio's and Duncmores. I have Tried many Pup's
    - here are a few highlights.

- Baker Junior with Tom Holmes. = Very Nice! 2 vol - 1 tone - I used a Hovland .022 Capacitor. This is a solid Korina body and the T Holmes have incredible clarity.
    - Baker BJ - Hollow with WCR Goodwoods. Holy S&%t - These Rock! Sort of the overwound 70's Rock tone from Hell! - Mr Gibbons would be proud!
    Big Balls!!!
    -Baker B1 - with Fralin PAF's. Very Balanced and Sweet sounding. Overall a great Match! Nice complex mid-range and good bite on the bridge Pup!

I tried Lollar Imperials - To Mid-Rangey and somewhat sterile.
    Seth Lovers were way too dark sounding.

Next up: Florance Voodoo 59's WCR-Darkbursts and Harmonic Design
    I'll report back soon.......

9. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

10. emjee

emjee Member

Thank you 1RadRon!:AOK Sorry it took so long to reply, I missed your post till just now. Thank you for the info! have you tried the Voodoo's or the Darkbrsts yet? Also, do you use a Hovland .022 for yer other Bake's too? Or just the BJ? i notice that on one of my Bakers the nuts that hold the pots to the body arent even chromed, they look like they are galvanized! Anyway, did you change out your pots also? I dont even know what they came stock with-250 or 500k I suppose, but which? Thanks again RadRon!

Matthew Guest
    San Rafael, Ca

BTW-SWEEEET lookin' axe!