Wheres the diminishing returns point on expression pedals?

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
The ones that seem affordable get dinged in reviews for being cheap and flimsy. The bigger ones are of course bigger and heavier and hog a lot of real estate. They also get pricy for a pedal that is basically just a pot. I am still new to the digital pedal world but I want to get one that will work for my H9 and Nemesis, and well any other guitar oriented digital pedal I might go with. Whats the point of diminishing returns vs going to cheap and plastic? Thanks

MAGICboy

The ones that seem affordable get dinged in reviews for being cheap and flimsy. The bigger ones are of course bigger and heavier and hog a lot of real estate. They also get pricy for a pedal that is basically just a pot. I am still new to the digital pedal world but I want to get one that will work for my H9 and Nemesis, and well any other guitar oriented digital pedal I might go with. Whats the point of diminishing returns vs going to cheap and plastic? Thanks
I would check out rigs like Mike Landau and Henderson to get a good idea.

These guys have been using them professionally for years.

gavinashun

Silver Supporting Member
I would LOVE the following product:

* Size of a Xotic Wah - so, small, but not as small as those tiny AMT pedals. Those are too small. And nice long throw range.
* Click once, and it is a volume pedal
* Click again, and it is an expression pedal
* Has 3 outs for expression pedal usage and a knob on the side to say which is active to be clicked to

How great would a pedal like that be?

Steven

Well I've been using the Roland EV5 for many years. Now I'm using it with my H9. Smallish, light, no hazzle. I see no reason to buy a more expensive "boutique" expression pedal.

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
I'm just really tempted to get the m-audio or Roland expression pedals because they're dirt cheap. But I hate the whole 'get what you pay for' lessons we all learn the hard way from time to time. But these are just pots really. And just accessories to the main pedal and it's tough spend money on them after taking the hit in the pedal itself. So if someone here can say they've actually had a bad experience with these cheaper plastic pedals, I'll spring for the better ones. Otherwise, I don't see the point. Pedals like the Missions are built into the old crybaby style pedals. A couple of those will add a ton of weight to your board and eat half the space. But if that's the only way to get a reliable expression pedal that doesn't fail at a gig then so be it. Just looking for people's experiences.

bigEbeer

Silver Supporting Member
I'm just really tempted to get the m-audio or Roland expression pedals because they're dirt cheap. But I hate the whole 'get what you pay for' lessons we all learn the hard way from time to time. But these are just pots really. And just accessories to the main pedal and it's tough spend money on them after taking the hit in the pedal itself. So if someone here can say they've actually had a bad experience with these cheaper plastic pedals, I'll spring for the better ones. Otherwise, I don't see the point. Pedals like the Missions are built into the old crybaby style pedals. A couple of those will add a ton of weight to your board and eat half the space. But if that's the only way to get a reliable expression pedal that doesn't fail at a gig then so be it. Just looking for people's experiences.
$80 is dirt cheap!?

teleclem

I would LOVE the following product:

* Size of a Xotic Wah - so, small, but not as small as those tiny AMT pedals. Those are too small. And nice long throw range.
* Click once, and it is a volume pedal
* Click again, and it is an expression pedal
* Has 3 outs for expression pedal usage and a knob on the side to say which is active to be clicked to

How great would a pedal like that be?
I'd buy one too. The Crybaby sized ones are pretty big/heavy.

Squatch57

I use one those old metal Boss Vol pedals with the dicky slider pot inside, it works and cost $15
The quality of pot probably isn't as critical as for audio, as long as it works

The cheapest exp pedal I can get in Oz is a Behringer for $75...they want $100 + post for the Moog

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the help guys. No $80 isn't really 'dirt cheap' but that's semantics. Compared to the bigger heavier ones that are $120 - $250, $80 is pretty cheap. And I had the $40 in mind when I wrote dirt cheap. If the Moog or M-Audio will hold up I'll go that route. And besides I could buy two and have a back-up and still have less money in it than with the non-plastic ones. I read the reviews, and even though I know some have a gut reaction to plastic and were probably assuming problems that never happened, still some might have had real problems and I wanted to know. Thanks again. More info is never a bad thing, except when it is.

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
Dang, the Moog and several other low cost pedals are out of stock everywhere! Ugh.

Trending Topics