Where's the perfect place in this chain for a RC Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kenoflife, Sep 23, 2006.

1. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I *think* I'm settling in on a really nice pedal sequence after experiencing
    Hot GAS since the beginning of the year...

All these pedals (including RC) somehow fit on a 5-space NYC pedal board, w/o feeling too cramped, amazing..

Guit>Wah>AM Sunface Fuzz>Strobostomp>Mofaux Vibe>BJF PGC>Carb>Eternity>AD-900>Amp

but where to put the RC Booster in this?
    I like to put it in for added clean boost/mild EQ, and it kind of goes on and off depending on the material

I can see the RC Boost being either after the Fuzz or at the end of the chain. After the Fuzz it can act as a boost/buffer(when on?)for the system - allowing some EQin of the Carb - and it seems its popular to have that unit at the beginning of the sequence. Maybe it helps the fuzz here somehow?

And yet - I've read (mainly from the Gigpig) that having a buffer (if this is acting as one) may be a poor idea in front of the Eternity, while its good to have a buffer after the eternity (the AD-900 is buffered when off - the only non-TB pedal). Since I'm mainly using it as a clean boost for non-OD passages, and to slightly beef up a good OD/Fuzz sound that I already have - maybe its better at the end?

Discuss among thyselves....:eek:

2. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

If you want to use it as a boost then put it at the end of your chain, or at least after your drive pedals. If you want to use it as you "always" on pedal then leave it in the beginning. I've used it as both. I used to have it be my "Always on pedal" and would just the volume control, but the main reason I don't use it like that anymore is becuase it doesn't get enough drive and it compresses when you dime the gain on it, which I don't like for broken up tones.

However....My lil china cot 50 red now is my "always on" pedal and I use that with my volume knob to control the majority of my gain needs now for bluesy type of stuff. I put the RC after all my drive pedals and it works great as a boost. You can set the drive on it higher there too if you really want you leads to sore. I perfer the use the RC booster this way, rather then just leave it on all the time like the COT50. It just suits my needs better, but it does do a great job at both places. Heres my chain...

Cot50>Maxon SD-9 (analog man)>Skreddy Mayo>RC BOOSTER>teese wizard wah>volume pedal>robotalk>arion chorus

Fx loop has a lexicon mpx1 in it and that takes care of all of my delay and reverb needs.

Again, I don't know about the buffer with the eternity or anything (im really trying NOT to spend another 300+ dollars) but thats how I use it in my setup and I'm very familiar with that pedal.

Hope that helps.

3. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I actually like it earlier in the chain. Goose the treble and bass a little, give it just enough gain to make your chords sizzle just a bit when you hit them, and boost the level to taste. It sounds great on its own, and will goose your pedals nicely. I'd say somewhere after the fuzz.

Brett

4. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

I agree. I'd probably put it right after the fuzz.

5. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

I would do that too, if I were to leave it on a lot, but for a lead boost...IMO it needs to be after the drive pedals.

6. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

See, this is my downfall. . . I would end up picking up something like a Super Chili Picoso and run that at the end of my chain for the lead boost (which is why I have no room left on either of my bigger boards). <sigh>

Brett

7. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Hi Kenoflife
    Great Pedal line up. I'm sure it sounds killer
    Ok, a couple of questions about how you intend to use the RC. What does it give you that you like? Is it a pedal to use in combination with other pedals or is it the stand alone tone that you like?
    Seeing as the AD 900 (what a great delay) is buffered and you have it directly after the Eternity, you don't need to worry anymore about a buffer at the end of the chain, the ad900 will do that nicely.
    As far as RC into the E is concerned, you'll need to try it and see how it sounds. I do boost my Eternity with a couple of pedals for some different sounds and it sounds fantastic, but my main Eternity sound is guitar directly to the Eternity with the buffer after it. As the RC is true bypass it will work either before or after the E.
    Infact after a fascinating thread with BJF yesterday we worked out the the AM sunface is a unique fuzz that gives you the abilty to temper the input to react better to buffers as well, but I'd still leave it seeing the input impedance of your coils just for that classic fuzz tone.
    Because you have fantastic pedals with true bypass and a single buffer at the end of the chain you have alot more options as to where to put the RC. You're not trying to compensate for a bad signal path but simply enhance, so it becomes a matter of taste.
    If it were me first thing I'd try is directly after the Eternity but before the delay to clean boost into the delay. Then I'd try it directly after the FUZZ as an input driver to the other drive pedals. See which one works best for you.

8. kenoflife

Hey Gigpig,
    Thanks for the input...

What does the RC give that I like? A bit of sparkle for playing the countryish things we do, along with the 52Tele and a Goodsell Super 17. But honestly, its less noticeable than when I used the Vibrolux - which needed to be 'filled out' a little on low volume...interestingly, my Fralin Blues Special bridge pickup (overwound a little) doesn't sound good anymore with the Super 17 - its the only thing that doesn't sound better - it sounds just trebly...I think the Fender amp responds well to the treble boost thing....

So the RC Booster kind of is just there for a little extra, but maybe a little redundant - I'd love to move along a pedal or two - now that the new amp has its own character at low volume. What's happening is that a Klon is on order - gets here about Thanksgiving - and I'm deeply curious as to if that might replace both the RC Booster and the Carb. The Carb I'm using mostly to get a little more fatness, the RC for a little boost - all I've read says the Klon will do both better - though maybe have a different 'quality' than these two - maybe less "beautiful clean" and more "fatty low-midrange" - but it sounds adjustable too. The only way I can fit a Klon on the board anyway would be to move off 2 pedals..so we'll see...the subject of a separate future post, but I thought I'd mention it.

The Eternity works well either way, as far as I can tell - its the Carb I really use to boost it presently, not the RC. I like the sunface w/ the buffered wah, doing that for the first time at a gig was awesome (along w/
    having a 17-watt amp breaking up at a reasonable volume, in a small restaurant!!!)-don't think I'd put anything before the wah/fuzz...

I've been running the RC after the delay, assuming the Eternity wanted to see the buffer first of the delay (if the RC was off) - and that the RC at the end would 'cook' the amp a little or something....Clean boost into the delay?
    I can try that too. BTW, I LOVE the AD900, much better than the AD999 - its VERY nice too that the buffer allows such a clean transition on and off (no *pop*!).

But maybe I'll try no RC at all...or at least try it as a stand-alone and see if it has something I like (I haven't done that yet with the Goodsell)....

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Oh, and speaking of country, I found the RC Boost loves some compression (nice alternate sound to just clean compression)!

Brett

10. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I actually have been running mine in the loop.

My Zinky Superfly really likes boost pedals in the loop, but I don't get much gain with them in front.

11. kenoflife

I always use compression with the country stuff - I'll take this as a vote to have the RC Boost be after the compression?

12. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Definitely. Makes single coil mode on my humbuckers jump out at you.

Brett