• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Whetstone phaser - Help

PUMAMAN

Love the sounds and the flexibility. But..

First time it's engaged gives me a VERY loud brutal pop in my amp. Is this wrong or is this a pedal that needs to be "discharged" before use each time?

Thanks,

chuckmoose

I've got a few pedals that pop the first time you engage them then pretty much don't after that, but nothing so loud as to be concerned. If it's that bad you should contact Whetstone and discuss options. As suggested above, a simple resistor mod most anyone can do may solve the problem.

lonelylooper

Plate of shrimp
Gold Supporting Member
Love the sounds and the flexibility. But..

First time it's engaged gives me a VERY loud brutal pop in my amp. Is this wrong or is this a pedal that needs to be "discharged" before use each time?

Thanks,
I have one (for about a month) and it does the same thing.
At first it really bugged me because I was turning knobs and switching switches, I suppose just getting to know it.
After about a week I found all my sweet spots and it dosen't "phase" me at all any more.
I love the Whetstone phaser, absolutely love it! I have owned a few different phasers (mxr's, smallstone's, etc...) in my time and really nothing has done it for me more than the Blackout.
Also I talked to Kyle (the guy who make 'em) and he gave me a few helpfull hints.
I say stick with it and you may learn to live with the "quirks"
Hope that helped

PUMAMAN

Thanks for the responses guys. I am waiting to hear back from Kyle.
I agree it's a great sounding pedal. But I don't know about your pop but mine is incredibly loud. Not the kinda "quirk" I need. Every pop sounds like I just wasted my amplifier.
Not good

lonelylooper

Plate of shrimp
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I am waiting to hear back from Kyle.
I agree it's a great sounding pedal. But I don't know about your pop but mine is incredibly loud. Not the kinda "quirk" I need. Every pop sounds like I just wasted my amplifier.
Not good
Ouch!
Yeah mine is not a amp destroying pop for sure.:eek:
I do know that Kyle said and I delieve it says on his sight that he will fix any defects.
Hope you get it worked out it would be shame the loose that one.

PUMAMAN

Hey Todd,

Kyle at Blackout Effectors was very cool about walking me through an easy fix. Just added a resistor to the switch. Very easy fix without shipping the pedal back to have it done. Just shoot Kyle an e-mail he can have you loving that phaser all over again. Awesome pedal.

Jfet

I've found under certain "extreme" settings, you can get oscillations breaking through in bypass mode and I find when the feedback control is above 8 you get a massive pop when engaging the pedal, otherwise :aok

Last edited:

blackout_kyle

Hi all - someone just pointed me to this thread.

Footswitch popping issues have been resolved for a while now. If yours does pop we'll fix it for you.

Also, for those of you that have one of the Whetstones with a static-y depth knob or excessive pop on the Vibrato toggle - there is a fix for that now as well. All covered under warranty of course.

Trending Topics