1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Which 100w celestion did the early JCM900 have?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dazco, May 16, 2011.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I know it was either a H or a K but i'm not sure which. I had a early 90's 900, one of the early EL34 ones before they switched to 5881's. it had a 100w celestion i really liked and i'd like to find another for my current amp. But i need to know whether it was a G12K-100 or G12H-100 model. Anyone know?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Most likely the H . I bought a brand new H in the late 90's so I imagine they didnt start to the k's until afterward. That said the K's are my favorite all around speaker. Bob

3. dazco

dazco Member

how does the k differ, and if you were a long time EV12L user which would you prefer assuming you like the 12L?

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well the K is fairly neutral for a Celestion. Somebody once described it as the "bastard love child of an EV and a Celestion" lol! Why the switch if youve been getting along with the EV's for so long? Bob

5. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Cel 100H AND EVM12L are a great combination, each "has each other's back"

6. dazco

dazco Member

because i the celestion in the 900 i had all those years ago i still remember as being similar to an EV in the way it punches thru strong and clean unlike other celestions, yet still had some of that celestion tone to it. I love EV's, but i wish they had a touch of that celestion rock tone, and i recall thats what the speaker in my old 900 sounded like.

7. yfeefy

yfeefy Member

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

In that case I think you will dig the K's. Bob

9. dazco

dazco Member

I read somewhere while researching them today that the K is an improved H. The just moved the magnet closer somehow which increased or improved bass. But who knows whats true or not. I also read the G12K-85 is the exact same speaker as the G12K-100 and the reason is that they realized the 85 could handle 100 watts easy and so changed the name to 100. But again, fact or fiction? I have the opportunity to buy a 85 right now for $50. Great price, but not worth anything to me if the 100 is better.