1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which 12" guitar speaker has the best midrange?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by effectsman, Oct 16, 2017.

1. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Guitar lives in the mids and this is its place in the mix of instruments in a band. Which speaker for you has the best midrange when using any kind of drive from very light grit all the way to raging distortion? I think speakers which really excel at cleans are probably a bit scooped and not as good when used for OD and distortion.

Anyway name you speaker? And describe what about the midrange it produces that you most like? Is it creamy? Detailed? Scooped? Rich? Whatever adjectives best capture what you hear and why you most like it over all others? Maybe listing what others it has beat out, and what style and guitars and amps may be useful to others as well.

2. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

There is no way to answer this question without taking the amp into account.

3. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Greenback or Greenback-type. It has to have a light or medium weight magnet because heavy magnets usually translate into more punch and tighter, fuller bass (i.e. not mid focused), whereas those quallities recede into the background with lighter magnets, making the mids more prominent.

ken374, highrise, sabby and 2 others like this.
  4. ROKY

ROKY Member

The last sentence in the OP referenced that .

onetracker likes this.
  5. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

6. Haz

Haz Member

Alnico Cream comes to mind.

Floyd Eye, dbeeman and 71strat like this.
  7. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

4x12: greenbacks
    2x12: V30s

Greenbacks have great crunch and a nice fuzziness but need to be in fours, for me. V30s border on midrange overkill but work better than GBs in a 2x12, I've found, and get more even-sounding with break in. This is playing hard rock/classic rock in a loud trio with a Marshall or Mesa and an LP.

8. 71strat

71strat Member

My favorites are the 1s in my Avatar, and oversize TVB cab. Pulsonic G12H 75hz/25w x 4 with a LTD ED Metro GMP45 head.

#2 are the Celestion Cream Alnicos. These are very smooth, and love to be pushed, and are very pedal friendly.

#3 Celestion 150w Redbacks. Especially for a 1 x 12, and a 50w Amp.

For old recreations of the Pulsonic Celestions... SCUMBACK. #1. Also consider I like 0 funny business from speakers, and with my 38w amp, I want at least a 4 x 12 if I'm using 25w-30w speakers.

Guitars are a 71 4 bolt Strat.

Aftermarket 59 burst x Tom Holmes H450/H455 pickups

82 x 62 Fullerton Reissue Strat

Partscaster with 2 x 66 Strat pups x 1 x 65/Illitch.

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  9. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Which mids? High mids sound like treble and rattle your ear. Low mids are where the fundemental of the notes are. An EV will play what you give it. Hemp cones are very balanced and no cone cry. Last saturday night I played my 1959 5G9 Tremolux with a red alnico Tone Tubby. Super sweet from top to bottom. Very neutral.

Jonathan Byrnside likes this.
  10. wilto

wilto Member

So whats the correct answer?

11. Bogner

Bogner Member

Best? What is that?

12. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Do you best today or best when i change my mind tomorrow? This question is so generalized and so subjective it has no answer. It it a troll? Call eminence or celestion and tell them you want to order their speaker with the "best midrange". Dont forget to come back with their answer.

Timbre Wolf likes this.
  13. kimock

kimock Member

I disagree.

Guitar Dave T likes this.
  14. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Sure it's a subjective question. The question is asking an opinion of what YOU consider the best sounding midrange in a speaker is? Everybody seems to hear things slightly differently, so I am taking that into account, not asking for a scientific test of best. What was the purpose of your negative responses? Didn't add anything constructive to the conversation.

Oscar A likes this.
  15. Bogner

Bogner Member

Depends on desired outcome.....music style.....mics, amp, all kinds of things.

Fat tone79 and Timbre Wolf like this.
  16. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

I've been punishing v30s and greenbacks for a long time, and I love them both depending on the song/amp/guitar. But.... in recording situations the last number of years, my scumback always ends up the chosen speaker to mic up. It is truly great. I forget the model now. I think its a h75.

ianblond and Scumback Speakers like this.
  17. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

"Best" is an entirely subjective concept,
    But i find midrange to be improved/more prominent when using 2 different speakers,
    Mix & matching a greenback with a v30 for instance, or a V-type paired with an A-type as they seem to work pretty well as a duo.

18. frthib

frthib Member

For me, celestion creamback m65

ken374 likes this.
  19. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Oh, there are just so many different mids to be had. Going all in for mids on the pretence that the guitar is a midrange oriented instrument I don't buy - if it was the speaker wouldn't go from perhaps 100Hz, bearing in mind the low E is way below this at its fundamental.

BADHAK likes this.
  20. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Lots to choose from. Here's 3 against each other.