Which 12" hempcone choice best compliments a Scumback H75?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soli528, Jan 18, 2008.

1. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Hey everybody.

I'm currently running a 2x12 setup, using a 1x12 combo and a 1x12 extension cab. The combo is Fargen, hardwood, openback. The extension is PC Wave 1x12OS, closed, front ported. The Fargen has a Scumback H75 which rules the roost in the G12H camp, IMHO. The PC has a guess what, Cele G12H30 70th Anniversary.
    So that's the background- here's where I'm headed. I'm looking to slightly darken and fatten up the sound, but keep the Scumback, so the replacement needs to be complimentary to a G12H flavored speaker. I have been reading the rave reviews about the Cannabis Rex, and I'm familiar with the Tone Tubby hempcone sound. Does anyone have any experience pairing a CR or TT (thinking Alnico here) with an H75 or G12H? I guess I'd like the choice to stand well on it's own, in the case of only playing the combo, or only the extension, but also to have something that's greater than the sum of its parts when paired together. I'm not deadset on it being either of these choices or even hempcone for that matter- in fact, I'm really open to any pairing that compliments the Scumback.
    Does this make sense? Thanks for any help anyone can provide... :AOK

2. soli528

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

As cheap as the Crex is it might be good to just try one. I have two but have only mixed it with a red fang which sounded pretty good.

4. soli528

Thanks for the reply...
    Anyone else out there with a good match for the H75? Southbay Jim? (Of course, you'll probably say "another Scumback" ;-)

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Why of course! LOL

Actually, I've heard only wildly mixed reviews of the cannabis/hemp type speakers. Some love them, some hate them. I've heard the Crex by itself. Dark, smooth, works with pedals if you run a clean amp then get your OD from them. Never heard the Tone Tubby's by themself, can't really comment.

6. stevie2600

stevie2600 Supporting Member

TT Ceramics sound to me like a beefed up G12H30. I've paired them up with some Scumback M75's with good results.

7. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Yeah the TT Ceramic sounded G12H'ish to me; it also has a freakin huge magnet like 60 oz. It's breakup also sounded like cardboard. If you can take it long enough to break it in, it may change. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. But then again, you mentioned going alnico. I don't know if I'de recommend alnico for your application either. From what I know, alnico's can be bright and lack some low end punch (perceived warmth) due to the alnico compression in gain applications. I'd do an M75 or G12-65 or something along those lines.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

If you were looking to darken the sound on the treble side, I'd go with an H75-LHDC or the M75-LHDC, the M being darker than the H. Both will be darker than the H75 you have now, though. The M75-LHDC will be less loud, the H75-LHDC will be the same volume as your H75 is now, but with a tad less treble, and a tad more bass (due to the large dust cap design).

9. soli528

Thanks for the input folks.
    Jamison, I mentioned the alnico mainly to distinguish between the two types of TT's and I meant that I was looking at the alnico TT (H1E) rather than the ceramic. I wasn't really considering the ceramics due the impression that they are generally brighter and I was looking for a fatter, darker tone.

Stevie, the fact that you paired the ceramic with the M75 (which Jim recommended as his darker choice) likely compensates for the ceramic's brightness and likely makes for a good balance, no? And if the ceramic was reminiscent of the 12H flavor, maybe the M75 is a good companion to the 12H flavored H75 as well. (At least the logic works out in my head)

Jim, once again you tempt me. You may be hearing from me soon.
    Thanks again!

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Well, just FYI, my experience with alnico's (Blue & Gold) is that they can be rather bright as well. The Gold's probably had the most high end of any speaker I've tried, but it was not harsh like say a G12H30. YMMV.