Which /13 Divided by 13 for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BluePowder, Mar 17, 2008.

1. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I checked out a couple of clips and videos online of Fred's amps and I'm completely mesmerized by the tones that this amp is capable of.

krbentley's CJ11 samples.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=703340

Pete Thorn's FTR37 clip.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=202513

I play most hard rock, the gain levels I'm looking for are heavy crunch type tones. Nice saturated dirt tones would be nice too!

As some of you may already know, I'm using a stock Deluxe Reverb Reissue completely stock, I'm using pedals for distortion and drive tones. My dirt comes from a dynared distortion and a menatone kar krash.

As for application wise, I play mostly at home. I'm only able to crank up the amp on weekends when the neighbours are out. :D Weekdays wise my job is such that I only get home late so a great master volume function would be nice. For reference sake, my weekday volume level on my DRRI is just about 1-1.5, weekends I take the amp past 4.

I'm looking at some of the lower wattage /13 amps, the LDW 17/39, EDT 13/29, CJ11, JRT9/15 and the SJT10/20. I'm looking to find a smaller version of the RSA23...listening to the clips and videos of this amp brought smiles to me face.

Budget wise I'm pretty ok, I'm willing to save and shell out the coin. Plus I'm thinking of taking advantage of the weakening dollar right now ;) I want to get a great amp, one that would stick with me without having to think to myself that there is/was a better alternative to begin with. (Pretty tough since I am already a tgp memeber!)

Also does anyone know whether I can get a /13 with an international voltage option? I'm not keen on getting a step up voltage convertor. I'm living in Singapore and over here we're using 220V. An effects loop would be great too!

Thanks for the help guys!

Christopher.

2. teleking36

teleking36 Member

RSA23 would get my vote if you didn't need a MV. Alas, the LDW 17/39 is your best bet. Great MV, excellent crunch tones there.

3. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Teleking36, thanks for the feedback, I see in your sig that you've got a EDT13/29, how are you finding that?

4. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I have an SJT and I love it. I would not call it a hard rock amp though. He is now making RSA23 combo's in a single channel WITH a master volume. Search for (user name) "wichita" (Lance) threads here as he is a dealer and can tell you if you can get a 220v version. His site is www.guitar25.com

5. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Thanks for the tip ChazMania...

I'm already contemplating what gear has to go in order for me to raise funds to fund the amp!!!!

6. teleking36

teleking36 Member

When I crank my EDT up through the Hi input, with or without the mid-boost engaged, it is a MONSTER. Sounds absolutely enormous, and has a big breathy overdrive. Perfect for blues and rock. I throw a Timmy on top of it for roots, folk rock, and other stuff that requires some low/med dirt. For classic rock and R&R, I use the OCD, and then goose it with the Beano Boost side of my Sunlion for solos, and it cuts like a razor through the mix. Not to come off conceited, but I've got a truly bad ass rig going on with those pedals and my EDT. I can cover so much ground with that set up.

I can't wait to see what happens when I actually dig up the cash to get a nice pair of NOS GEC KT66s!!

7. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

LDW is your best bet. Completely agree. The Master volume makes this amp useable in both low volumes and fully cranked. Gain whereever you want it in the spectrum and clean headroom to spare

8. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Got one inbound Thursday-Traded for one off this Forum-Is it here yet....?

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I'm currently thinking about the RSA23 combo, the dealer can get one for me with master volume and 240v as well.

Guys what are your thoughts on this amp?

Thanks!

10. snoggin

snoggin Member

the combo doesnt have th e click channel and in my view thats the best thing about the rsa 23. you need the click if you are going to go for the rsa 23

11. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Pardon my ignorance, I've been reading loads of stuff on the click channel. What exactly is it? :)

12. blondeorphan

blondeorphan Member

It's the right most channel on the face of the full size RSA 23 who's controls are a 5879 pentode "low cut" knob and a volume knob. Its gainier, sounds more open and "marshally" IMHO. It's just incredible sounding. You can't dial out the Treble like you can on the EQ channel, but then again, with the Greenbacks or G12H30's, I don't think you need to. I think the same could be said of the RSA 31's Click vs EQ channels.

13. Cvt

Cvt Member

I have a buddy that owns a dealer and they carry D-13. I spent an entire weekend going through every model made. Here is what I found. You have to narrow it down to really two choices in your preferred tone. If you like Marshall or Fender in essence.

My two choices were the EDT 13/29 and the RSA 23. If I had to choose one hands down it would be the EDT 13/29. In fact I do believe it is the best sounding amp I have ever played and it takes pedals better than any other amp I have experienced. I have to say I really did not bond with the FTR 37. The rest just did not jump out at me as much.

My favorite amps to date are the EDT 13/29, the new Vox AC15 Heritage hand wired and the Stephenson 30 watt. Between these three I can cover just about everything.

14. Peppy

Peppy Member

Although not a fan of /13 in general I will say Lance Keltner's clips of the FTR 37 sound exemplary. I used to have the link but no mas. Maybe someone has it and can link the op to it...might help with a decision.

15. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

I have owned most of the Divided by 13 models and the FTR 37 is still my favorite.
    Matching it up with one of Fred's cabs is just amazing...

16. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    I've played the JRT9/15.

I own and ERT33 and an EDT13/29.

While the 9/15 was not really for me, I love both the ERT and EDT....both are different. The ERT33 is and EL84 based amp with HUGE reverb and cleans. There are some 5879 tubes in the preamp section. Fantastic sounding cleans ! The reverb is insane on this amp. The click channel sounds fantastic too, and can get pretty dirty but it does well with a TIM pushing it...but the clean channel with reverb does it for me on this amp. It have an old one with a cool light up front panel. I run it through a D13 1x12 with a blue and a greenback.

The EDT13/29 I just got and haven't spent a lot of time with it. It's a great compact size for hauling around. More versatile than the ERT. Has lots of features like a "power dampening" switch with I think might be something like a negative feedback switch. Has class A or class A/B so you can go with low power in A setting. Has a pull mid boost on one of the pots which really "fills out" the sound. Has a nice, lush reverb that can get surfy if you want and can be switched via footjack. This amp differs greatly from the ERT due to the KT66 power section. It's gets really grindy and classic rock tones when cranked.

Both my D13s are great. Both are very touch responsive. Both have great reverb. Both look great. Both are a tad on the heavy side (probably due to the massive iron inside). Both are loud and giggable. Neither are metalhead/high gain amps. Both were on the expensive side. Both were worth the money (to me).

Cheers
    -Dave

17. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Love the EDT. Sounds huge, it's portable, loves pedal, great reverb. Built like a tank. I love it!

18. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I would probably recommend the LDW 17/39 and the RSA 23 for what you want. The LDW does have the MV unless you get the smaller RSA.

Divided by 13's are sick amps and are incredibly addicting! You really just want to own all of them!

As a matter of fact, I'm looking for an LDW...

I've owned a FTR37 with the matching 2x12 cab loaded with Blue/G12H30 and its one of the finest amps i've ever played. Huge sounding Fendery cleans with massive bottom. Sweet verb. Slightly pushed, it just sings. The Click channel just rocks with Brit inspired drive and can tear your head off! One of my favorite Fender inspired amps Ive had the pleasure of playing/owning.

Just traded it to try another D13, this time a RSA31 and its been addicting since the day I first plugged in at Lance's (Wichita) place a RSA23/31 rig. Like the best Vox amp you ever played but on steroids! I'm more of a Vox/Marshall guy than Fender and this may be THE PERFECT amp for me.

Gotta try the EDT, JRT, LDW, ect...

19. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I’ve tried most of the D13’s, and the EDT grabbed my right away. It sounds so good, and is so damn versatile. It’s like having the best of Fender and Marshall like tones in one compact package. Add the lush foot switch-able reverb, and you’ve got all you need to gig.

20. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I love yours but I can't quite afford it right now...:(

Unless,

Trades are welcome...
    or
    I sell something big...
    or
    Big price drop...;)
    or
    Payment plan...:p