Which /13 is right for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steve10358, Nov 10, 2005.

1. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

I've been all over reading reviews til my eyes spun in my head, and it seems like a lot of them are very similar.

I come from a Marshall/Mesa background.

I would like a dark, jangly amp that can go from cleans with harmonic overtones to medium gain with tightness. I want fluid leads. I play in a pop rock/hard rock band with a second guitar player and do home recording.

I thought I'd want an EL84 amp next, but am not sure.

What do you guys recommend?

S.

2. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

hey steve-
    i've had a 9/15 head for about a year & just love it. it has both el84 or 6v6 output sections which give you lots of flexability. i have not played any of the other amps that fred makes so i can't comment on them, but the 9/15 just killer in my opinion. i play in a pop rock cover band and between the different output sections & an xotic ac booster i can cover lots of ground. just last week i had a soundman that has worked with me before over the last 7 or 8 years tell me that- "you've always had a great guitar tone, but whatever your using right now, don't change a thing"

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Steve I suspect you'd like a lot of them; so I need more info about what you're into. Where do you plan to play? Are you in a band w/another guitarist? If so, what does he/she use? You want more OD from the power section than pre-amp section? How loud will you be playing?

If you're in a band w/a relatively loud guitarist (or the bands moderately loud), you'll probably want the FTR37 or SJT37 (same amp, but with a couple EL34s--a wee bit more Marshallish). If you're not and you're looking for something that's not quite as loud and derives more OD from the power section, you'll probably want to look into the JRT9-15 or the SJT10-20.

The RSA31 and ERT33 are a bit more jangly/voxy EL84 kinda thing (particularly the 31). The RSA23 is more Marshally and not as dark as the 37.

All are very responsive to pick attack and guitar volume changes. The 37s, 9-15 and 10-20 can be a little darker.

Just MHO.

4. steve10358

I too suspect I'd like all of them. :(
    Let's see if I can give this a try.

I tend to prefer power tube OD over preamp tube OD.
    I like dark tones, but avoid the blanket over the speaker type sounds. I'd like some vox like jangle, a dark overall tone, and a fat on the verge of breakup type of lead but with a liquidy feel. When I chunk, I need it to chunk. When I ease up I want sweetness. I want the dynamics of a single channel Marshall.
    I also use pedals for certain things, so I am not against continuing to do this.

Right now, I do play with another guitar player. He is going to be playing through a Badcat Hotcat 30 (that I finally convinced him to buy after a failed string of modded Marshalls). The band can get loud, but I can always add another 4x12.

IF I sell the MarkII I have for sale, I either want the /13 or a real plexi if it pops up. The only thing holding me back, is the fact that I'll have my 77 100 watt Marshall back in two weeks after it's trip to a certain shop in california for some plexi'ing.

Here are my concerns:
    FTR37- I hear this amp is dark and tight, but jangles. I just dunno if 6v6's will work though.

ETR33- Jangly but I dunno if it has "enough" for my needs when I have to chunk.

SJT37- Not sure if it's too Marshall, or if it's the perfect one or if it jangles more or is darker, etc...

RSA23- sounds tempting. I dunno.
    RSA31- Sounds tempting too. Is this too much mids?

S.

5. Leonc

My advice: forget your pre-conceived notions about power tubes. The 6v6s in the FTR37 don't make the amp sound like a Deluxe Reverb (though it is capable of Fender-like cleans along the lines of a DR). The SJT37 only sounds a wee-bit more Marshall like than the FTR; it's not a head-over-heels Marshall thing.

The mids can be dialed out of the RSA31 on the cleaner channel--a definite advantage over the ERT33 (and many Voxes)

The RSA23 sounds more Marshall-like than all the other models IMO. It has more pure power-tube overdrive than most of the others. It's not real bright...it's darker, more plexi-like...but I couldn't really tell you that it sounds that much like a plexi.

6. steve10358

Ok- after a lot of reading, I think it's ETR37 vs RSA23.

1. How do you define "more marshally"with the STJ vs the ETR37?
    2. Does the RSA do the jangles as well as the ETR? Is it as dark?
    3. Are the el84 amps mainly just pop amps?

I am really gettin a boner over these.
    I used to want a badcat, mojave, budda, naylor, etc... just to fill a different sound. I feel like /13 is the one I want the most.

S.

7. steve10358

And where do I get one of these?

8. Leonc

1. The "more Marshally" SJT37 description is just due to the use of EL34s I think. And like I said, it's just a wee difference, not a big differnece.

2. The RSA23 does the jangley stuff really well if not better. It's got a little bit more Voxiness to it. Not a lot, but a little.

3. I don't know what constitutes a "pop" amp so I don't know how to answer this. I'll say this--the full-head version of each of these amps has a pentode-based "click" channel that gets VERY overdriven. High gain Rectifier territory? No. But, VERY overdriven.

Man, chill with that boner or point it in another direction, k? LOL!

As for the other brands you mentioned...I'm not that into Buddas myself, but the Badcats, Mojaves and Naylors I've heard have been really killer amps. Of them, I think the Mojaves *may* get closed to what you're into. They're certainly dark and Vic's truly got distillation of plexi down.

Now...just to shake things up a bit more...Divided by 13 does have a 100/50W one channel hot-rodded-plexi type amp coming out. I've heard Matt Scannel and Lyle Workman and a few other guys get evil with it. Got the plexi thing going. Got the dark thing goin. Great clean sound too...but that's not why you buy one of these.

As for where you get one? Well, you should contact Fredric or search the boards for a used one. Truetone Music in Santa Monica gets an amp or two every now and then and you can call over there...but from what I gather, they're typically sold before they're on the floor for a day or two...

9. Timster

Timster Member

Is this the one with the master on it?? Hows the gain compared to the 37??

10. Leonc

Yeah that's the one. Maybe a scooch more gain...but it definitely has more of a Marshall vibe to it. The nature of the distortion is just more Marshall like.

11. steve10358

Thanks for info Leon.
    Got confused- it's not the etr I want. I meant the FTR!
    I want the FTR vs the RSA23.

However- this plexi thing intrigues me. lol.
    But I already have a bogner modded Marshall, a Dave Friedman Marshall and a stock 74 that can do the job... but the /13 might be it... damnit.

Mojave was an interest, but I'd be afraid that it wouldnt cover the true overtones. Either that or the people recording the clips dont know what a good marshall sounds like.

I gotta be honest though- I am a little more leaning towards something like the /13 because it sounds like it's got all the qualities I want (dark, fluid, crisp, overtones), with the dynamics I need to change my tone WITHOUT touching the dial. It's just that I need to figure out which is best for me.

Thanks.
    Steve

P.S.-Can the FTR jangle?
    By pop chords I meant that vox type break up on certain whole note chords in a pop type setting- although that is something I rarely do right now. I am looking for an amp that is rich and can let my hands get all these things when I need it.

12. Leonc

13. steve10358

Thanks Leon. I think what you were playing was great for a lot of the dynamics and chime. I also saw your OD video. Do you have more examples with the overdrive? Anything with a couple palm mutes and articulate/staccato notes- to hear the woodyness?

That clean was great. How does it do with overtones?

THANKS. One of the best demo's I've seen.

14. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Hi Leon,

Thanks for taking time to describe all these /13 tasty offerings! I am really interested in these as well. I'm more interested in a combo than a head/cab. So, I know there is the SJT10/20 and the JRT 9/15. I'm hoping for a chimey shimmery type clean, and a footswitch to a warm rich rock tone, not rectifier type gain, more plexi ish, where leads have lots of sustain but chords remaining distinctive in notes (not mushy). I know Richie Sambora now has some /13 heads, I like his new rythym crunchy tone.
    I would appreciate your words on those 2 offerings!

thanks-
    Charlie

15. studio8000

studio8000 Supporting Member

FTR and SJT37 can both do beautiful cleans that can be jangly if wanted, or thick and warm. on the gain side, i love both of them... but i kind of prefer my SJT when cranked... i suppose thats when the main difference can be heard. EL34's crunching vs. 6v6's crunching. but again, like Leon mentioned.. they're very similar. they're both amazing amps. hell, all of Fred's amps are.

16. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

if you do a search, i have some clips and a reveiw of my FTR37 which i made the day after i received my amp. Those tones are only a fraction of the tones i can get out of that baby now. I'm going to re-record some clips soon. There's a lot more gain on tap than i thought and i have just become more comfortable with the amp as a whole. All i can say is buy one of fred's amps ... ESPECIALLY IF YOU GIG! ... I know it's been said before, but Fred's amps do something that i've never another amp do considering how well it sits in the mix. i'm never looking back. I'm already saving up for an RSA31. :dude

17. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Anyone who thinks they know what the FTR37 is about simply because it uses 6V6 output tubes is way outta the ballpark. This amp does things that will blow your mind! She's a LOT more in the plexi (but way better IMHO) ball park than Fender. A Fender Deluxe it aint. And I mean that in a good way. The FTR37 is all about it's own thang not a copy or specific style of any other amp. It a decidedly Divided by 13 tone and that's all she needs to be for me. ;)

18. Leonc

Chaz - they're pretty similar tonally. The 10/20 has two modes of operation (class A vs class A/B and feedback in or out). It's a great sounding amp. Somewhat Fenderish cleans, but great low end.

The 9-15 has two modes of operation - EL84 and 6V6. The main diff in the sound from the 10-20--to me--is simply the sound of the power tubes. In 6V6 mode, they sound pretty similar.

19. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Which /13 is right for me?

All of them!

Sorry, I know I am being a wise ass. I am big fan of Fred's amps, got two now and more to follow. In my case the FRT 37 is just the ****, do all with Switchazel, half power, blendable, etc. TONS of clean headroom. Now with all that volume I am collecting the low powered ones first. The next one he hasn't invented yet. Currently have a love affair going on with the 9/15. I use the the same D/13 cab with H and Blue with both heads. Both heads and cab have smoothed out over time and seem to get better with every session. They seem to love pedals. My Fulltone TTE just spanks the monkey with them!
    Thats my take, my advice, just keep working over Leon. He is really Fred!:dude

20. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member