Which 18 Watt Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by El Kabong, Jan 3, 2006.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Ok, so I promised the lady no more guitars after bringing home a Victoria. So, being a man of my word :angel , I am on the hunt for another amp....:Devil

Which 1X12, 18 Watt combo has the most gain on tap, without sacrificing clean tone? (I don't need one with the tremelo channel; a TMB is preferable, or simply a volume and tone).

I have tried Marshall and GDS. (The Marshall was a little noisy and the gain ended with AC/DC tones. The GDS didn't give up the goods until the volume was way up).

Has anyone played the Gabriel 'Low Carb 18'? The new Reinhardt 18? (The feature sound good). Dabeck? What else is out there under $2000, giving this classic amp a modern twist?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Get a Carmen Ghia!!!!! Seriously. Or a Maz 18 Jr. Try one!

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

It would not occur to me to suggest a Carmen Ghia as the best answer to this question.

4. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Goodsell Super 17. Search this forum for goodsell. folks love 'em. Me too.

5. Holden

Holden Guest

Amps I'm familiar with are Dr. Z, Savage and Fuchs. I've only heard a Fuchs Lucky 7 head but man what tones this amp had. Been told the Blackjack 21 is pretty much the same but louder. Both of these amps are priced very reasonably too. I had a Savage Macht 12 (it does have tremolo) that to me was a little bright but a lot of people love them. And I'll highly recommend the Ghia and Maz jr. as well. I have always gotten plenty of clean head room with my Ghia before the fun factor started kicking in. All depends on your style of playing I guess. Ben Fargen has one of his lower wattage amps reviewed in Guitar Player's lastest issue.

6. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

The simple, easy answer=Aiken! And that's not just because I currently have one for sale either. ;) I would reccomend either the Invader or Intruder, both 18 watt Marshall EL84 designs. They have tons of gain, awesome attenuator/master volume and sound basically the same cranked or at mouse fart volume levels. Did you say something about cleans, just roll back the guitars volume knob and you are in clean lead tone heaven. Invader has great sounding onboard reverb and they are built like little rainbow tolex covered tanks. Give Randall a call, coolest cat south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

P.S. I haven't played a Reinhart yet but I have heard alot of good things and they are flat out beautiful amps!

Scott

7. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I have a Budda SD18 and it has tons o gain in tap. Definetely in your price range too.

8. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Invader, Intruder, Tomcat all good.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I'm trying to understand what you are looking for.
    You want an 18 Watter with great cleans and a ton of gain (like able to go into Metal or something) or you are looking for an 18 Watter with a load of headroom?
    It's showing you are in Japan which is a bit of a bummer since a lot of these amps people are mentioning might be hard to get and even harder to return if it doesn't pan out ..
    I really like my Sommatone Roaring 20s its EL84 based, it has good headroom and it can get pretty nasty. My other favorite was a Maven Peal Zeeta 1-20 it didn't have as much headroom but it has a ton of gain on tap.

10. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

Check out the Reinhardt. Smokin little amp that don't sound so little.

11. philipnz

philipnz Member

Don't rule out a Matchless Spitfire

12. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

What little Johnny Said :D Great suggestion there Mr. Thunders:AOK

13. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

About how much does one of these bad boys weight (I'm getting older). This is a 1X12 combo, right?

14. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Reinhardt makes a killer 1x12 18 watt amp.