Which 335-type Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DavesPlanet, Nov 4, 2019.

1. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Eastman T-486

Switters likes this.
  2. Yooper

Yooper Member

A good Epi Dot gets you there.
    I upgraded to a Heritage H535. It plays better and is slimmer and more comfortable.

[​IMG]

DavesPlanet likes this.
  3. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

How cheap are you willing to go? If you can get one before they sell out, people are raving about the $140 Firefly 338 guitars from Amazon. The primary complaint is that the pickups are microphonic, but as long as you're not playing it at gigging levels, it'll never be an issue. For the sake of doing a few lessons, it seems like a better idea then pouring a grand or 2 into a nicer one. On the reviews that I've watched, those pickups, as microphonic as they may be, sound phenomenal in a PAF-ish way.

54GT and DavesPlanet like this.
  4. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I preferred Eastman or Ibanez to the lower end epiphones. But I do really like epi Sheratons.
    Heritage isn’t a *whole lot* cheaper than Gibson, so it really depends on what you mean by “cheaper”

my rec would be a used Ibanez as73. They can usually be had for around $250. If you want the look to be closer to a Gibson, go for the Eastman.

DavesPlanet likes this.
  5. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I recently checked out one of the new Indonesian made Ibanez AS73 with block inlays. Build quality was excellent. As nice as the random Eastman I picked up in the same shop.

6. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Good news is that you have lots of options for a semihollow double cut guitar at all price points. I second the Eastmans and Artcores. You might also check out the Gretsch center-block offerings. The Electromatics are very good quality and I find the Filter'Trons much more versatile comapred to PAF style humbuckers. They have nice high end response that is great for clean tones. I got a Gretsch G6137 White Panther instead of a Gibson 335 because of the versatility (They can be found used in the $1500-$2000 range).

Jayyj, DavesPlanet and biffoz like this.
  7. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

If I’m understanding the OP correctly, I’m thinking the budget is somewhere between $400 (used) and $600 (new)

So of course, in classic TGP fashion, many of the responses involve instruments close to a grand or more :rolleyes:

For low-cost semi options, there are plenty of Epi and Ibanez offerings that’ll get you in the ballpark. Don’t discount used Washburns, Hamer Echotone and Schecter Corsairs either - all good stuff to scratch that itch at relatively minimal cost

Now, if you’re willing to increase your budget... say, $700 - $900, the Eastmans are absolutely fantastic (I’ve owned several) and if you shop around, even a Gibson Midtown or ES333 can be had for a little over a grand

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    C-4 likes this.
  8. yoshiii

yoshiii Member

I have a Epiphone Lucille, nice guitar.

9. yoshiii

yoshiii Member

Nice guitar.

Would the Electromatic G5622T be close to this?

BigDoug1053 likes this.
  10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

I agree.

I have the T486B with P90's and a Bigsby. The "Standard" T486 with humbuckers (Duncan 59 & Jazz) and a stop tailpiece is an outstanding guitar and far above its price point in quality. I got mine at South Shore Music in Mass. They have 3 in stock...

https://www.southshoremusic.com/sho...ectric-Guitar-Hard-Case-8lbs4oz-x42927454.htm

https://www.southshoremusic.com/sho...o-Thinline-Guitar-With-Case-008-x39234771.htm

https://www.southshoremusic.com/sho...inish-Electric-Guitar-Hard-Case-x39234405.htm

I recently bought a Gretsch 5622T which has a center block like a 335. Got it new for $549. What a great guitar!

[​IMG]

Laganlad, jpervin and Jayyj like this.
  11. DavesPlanet

DavesPlanet Member

Photo not showing up for me. FYI.

12. DavesPlanet

DavesPlanet Member

Why did you show me this? (Wipes spittle from chest.)

13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Got my AS-93 for $400 used mint -- with hardshell case -- out the door, it covers a lot of ground.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  14. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I would take a look at the Epiphone Elitist es335 Guitars (you have to find one used) or Yamaha Sa2200

15. DavesPlanet

DavesPlanet Member

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Hadn't thought of Eastman or Gretsch. Really, so many very decent guitars being built for very reasonable dough these days thanks to CNC machining and far better quality control in Asia. I have 10 guitars in my little room here in Bangkok, Thailand. But I may just be stupid enough to add an eleventh. 8-P
    In case anyone would like to see six from my current collection, I did a series of videos on them some months back I call Guitar Stories:
    https://davesguitarplanet.com/misc/

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  16. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

The cool thing about the Eastmans is they are all built by hand, by skilled craftsmen. I read they got their 1st CNC machine which is used to do inlays

17. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

I'd go Ibanez AS, Yamaha SA or Eastman if you don't mind what the headstock says and want crazy good value for money.

But as has been said already, if it has to be a 335 then it has to be a Gibson for me. Otherwise you'll only end up disappointed in the long run. As I was always told, 'buy it right or buy it twice'.

C-4 likes this.
  18. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain Member

Ooooo ... LOVE the Super 400 .. Good for you ..

While i do enjoy Gretsch guitars, they will put you slightly outside the wheelhouse of that Larry Carlton type sound .. certainly play one .. being just outside The Wheelhouse isn't necessarily A Bad Thing but I'm just calling it to your attention .. true to form, I am ever suggesting MIJ guitars - particular late '70s and early '80s because people most often Overlook them .. And it's sad because bargains can be had .. and it is always nice to see them back in rotation .. they were built to be played .. And play they can .. I would seriously go Ibanez or Yamaha .. Especially if you are in Thailand .. there must be some Beauties floating around in your area

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  19. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    If I were going for a semi-solid 335 type, but not a regular 335, I would look at the Studio 335 versions, the Yamaha SA 2200, or an Eastman.

The neck feel would be a major factor for me, along with the tone. Any semi-solid 335 "type" is going to be get you close, but it will come down to how it feels as well as how it sounds. No matter which guitar you decide on, keep that in mind.

I tried Heritage guitars once, with a model of their 335 called a 35 Special. It was a nice guitar, custom ordered by Jay Wolfe Guitars from Heritage, but I just didn't bond with it.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  20. Bluesidae

Bluesidae Member

Lots of semi hollows with F holes. Not sure all of these will give you the 335 tone....