Which A/B/Y?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by anti-flag193, Jun 18, 2006.

1. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

I have a 2203 halfstack and a Laney GH100L halfstack coming in next week. At gigs I wanna run them on either side of the stage and was planning on buying a loop-master ABY but I really don't want to have to deal with group loop hum and noise because supposedly the outputs aren't grounded. What do you guys use? I know the Radial Tonebone is supposedly awesome, but I don't wanna spend that much unless there is no other choice. Has anyone tried this?
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...cher?sku=153931
    It says it eliminates group loops and is well within my budget.

Also, startouch pedals looks nice, but I'm not sure if they eliminate ground loops either. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jowille

jowille Member

I use a Morely a/b/y, I picked it up from GC a few years ago. Can't remember the cost but it wasn't expensive and I get no hum with it.

3. vegabondblues

vegabondblues Member

Lehle is a good A/B/Y Pedal

4. cheesey

cheesey Member

thumbs up on the morley , a/b or both , was gonna get a switchbone but over $200 my friend loaned me his morely and he'd have to kill me to get it back.:eek:

5. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

Yeah, very expensive too though. I wanna go with the cheapest ABY I can with isolated outputs so I get no ground loop hum.

6. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Most of the cheaper one (im trying to be polite here) like loop-master, Looopers, (and mine) etc. Are grounded but are not with isolated outputs. ABY with iIsolated outputs will be expensive.

Aj

7. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

That's what I'm saying. But then I saw the link for the Radial Tonebone Bigshot that I linked in my first post. It says it eliminated groud loops because "B" is isolated. This is the description...

Allows you to toggle between 2 guitar amps or play them both at the same time. Features a guitar input, a thru-put, and 2 outputs. Output B is equipped with a ground-lift and 180° polarity reverse. For active buffered circuits, an isolation transformer on output-B eliminates ground loops. 14-gauge steel construction.

8. McSoappy

McSoappy Supporting Member

Startouch makes a good one too.

9. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

Tonebone JX2 Switchbone

transparent, with a boost button

10. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

Yeah, I saw the startouch...I don't think the outputs are isolated though.

11. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I have a whirlwind ABY that works fine. My next one is going to be a WOBO;
    http://www.woboge.com/

Check them out. I haven't used them but they get great reviews and the electronics are sound and the price is very reasonable.

Regards,

Tom

My Pedals:

ADA Flanger w/RI Foot pedal(Vintage),Analogman Stereo Chorus, (2) Analogman ,Bi-Comprossors,Analogman SunFace(NKT 275),BJF Honey Bee Overdrive,Boss Line Selector LS-2,Boss Equalizer GE-7,Boss PN-2 Tremolo/Pan,Boss Power Supply PSM-5,(5) Boss Chromatic Tuners TU-2,Boss DD-20 Giga Delay,Boss Metal Zone MT-2,Boss BF-1 Flanger(Vintage),Boss DM-2 Delay,Boss Delay DM-3,(2) Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble,Boss Bass Chorus CE-2B,Digitech Whammy II,Digitech FX-17 Wah/Vol,Digitech Bass Driver(X-Series),Digitech Jam Man,(5) Ernie Ball Volume Pedals,EH Screaming Bird Treble Booster,EH Small Stone Phase(Vintage),EH Big Muff PI(Vintage),FoxRox Captain Coconut II,Fulltone ’69 Fuzz,Fulltone Clyde Wah,Gibson Maestro Fuzztone (FZ-1A),Hermidia Zendrive,Hermidia Mosferatu,
    Ibanez CS-9 Stereo Chorus,Ibanez TS-9 RI,(2)Ibanez TS-9DX,Ibanez TS-9DX Keeley Mod,Ibanez TS-9 Analogman Mod,Ibanez TS-9DX Analogman Mod,Ibanez Original TS-9(Analogman upgrade),Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah,Keeley 3-Way Rat,Keeley Rangemaster,(2) MXR Distortion+ (Vintage),MXR Phase 100 (Script),MXR Dynacomp (Script),MXR Noisegate Linedriver(Vintage),MXR Micro Flanger(Vintage),
    MXR Loop Selector(Vintage),MXR Power Converter(Vintage),Paul Cochrane Timmy,
    Peterson Strobo Stomp,Peterson VS-II Virtual Strobe Tuner,Pro Analog Dual Drive,Radial ToneBone Classic Distortion,Time Machine Boost,T.C. Electronics Stereo Chorus,Vox Big Ben Overdrive,Whirlwind Selector A/B Box

12. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

yeah, the wobo looks good as it has a switch that lifts the ground on one of the amps. No idea on the price though.

13. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

14. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Framptone 3-banger - very easy to eliminate the ground-loop hum; virtually "noiseless";)

15. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

16. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

I'm tying to get the low down on the cheaper ones, if there are any that have isolated inputs. I'd love to get a Lehle, but it's waaay to much money.

17. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Yes, they are expensive. But soooo quiet, and no "pop." Good luck in your search!!!

Doc :BEER

18. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

I think I'm just gunna order the Radial Tonebone Bigshot for $69 at musicians friend and give it a go.

19. schmit

schmit Member

I use a Loooper ABY to connect a TopHat CR and a Fargen Blackbird....In the paperwork from Loooper Dave, he says that when you use the "both" option, you'll experience some hum caused by a ground loop but he adds you can remedy the situation by using a 3 to 2 prong adapter on one of the amps.......plug the cord from the amp into adapter, then into your power source......and it works.....it eliminates, Id say, 75 to 90% of the noise.

20. shood

shood Member

Does anyone have any input regarding whether the more expensive AB-Ys' features (e.g. ground/phase/isolated inputs) are necessary when switching between 2 channels on one amp (a new Kingsley - I understand that a lot of older amps would have channels out of phase) versus between two amps? Should I be fine with a cheaper alternative?