Which acoustic should I get?

Steadfastly

The more I look and listen to Taylor comparison reviews with other guitars the less likely it is I'll get one. Hopefully next week I can go play some Eastmans as well as some more Taylors in person.
If you can find some Alvarez's, I would look at them as well, especially the Masterworks models. They are very fine guitars at very decent prices.

Beakertwang

If you can find some Alvarez's, I would look at them as well, especially the Masterworks models. They are very fine guitars at very decent prices.
I’ll have to see if my local shop has any of the Masterworks models. I’ve never played an Alvarez I’ve really liked, outside of a couple old Yairis. But I’m always looking for good affordable guitars to recommend to people.

BEACHBUM

Guild Westerly D140CE - All solid wood = $900/$950 Sunburst. The Westerly series are pretty much the same guitars as the older GAD series so if you can't find a used Westerly just look around for a GAD. Basically the same guitars with a few cosmetic differences.

Last edited:

Madison

I played a bunch 2 years ago and the search ended on a Blueridge. Great tone, lightweight, low action, about $750. Checked all boxes although my budget allowed up to 2k.

rmz76

I play in church. We do anything from hymns, country, blues and rock but very little P&W. I play a black paisley MIM tele but I am looking to get an acoustic electric. I play pretty heavy when I strum. I would prefer a smaller guitar than a dreadnought, with a cutaway and medium to low action. Looking at spending around $800.
There's a old joke that Gibsons are for Saturday night and Taylors are for Sunday morning. There's a reason for that, Taylor guitars provide a clean balance with a lot of high-end shimmer. They really are a great fit for praise and worship style music. Taylor even marketed to Worship leaders for some time and offered a discount of sorts. Might be worth your time to contact them if their instruments interest you. For smaller bodied model used predominately for rhythm (I'm assuming here), I'd take a strong look at the 312ce 12-fret.

BenB123

Silver Supporting Member
There's a old joke that Gibsons are for Saturday night and Taylors are for Sunday morning. There's a reason for that, Taylor guitars provide a clean balance with a lot of high-end shimmer. They really are a great fit for praise and worship style music. Taylor even marketed to Worship leaders for some time and offered a discount of sorts. Might be worth your time to contact them if their instruments interest you. For smaller bodied model used predominately for rhythm (I'm assuming here), I'd take a strong look at the 312ce 12-fret.

Thx for the info. We actually play as much Saturday night type Christian music than anything so Taylors might not be a best fit. I played some Eastmans, Taylors and an Alvarez at Maple Street Music this week. I came out liking the Eastman ac 122 the best, not impressed with Taylors so far.

My voice has more bass and growl than most P & W guys as well so maybe a guitar with more bass would be better. Usually play a half step down. I want to check on some Blueridge guitars too. I have a Stagg electric/acoustic my neighbor gave to me and it actually sounds better than some of the guitars I played at the music stores recently. I think I am going to take it to a luither in the area and get the action lowered a little bit and keep playing it while I keep looking.

Steadfastly

There is nothing wrong with Taylor except they have their own tone. It is usually something someone likes or they don't like.

Standby

Is there really such a big difference in acoustics once they have the same shape? I get with electric guitars, that the pickups, guitar shape, neck length, and what it's made from can impact how they sound a lot. However, with acoustics, I am on the fence if a $1000 acoustic guitar sounds much different than a $250 one if they are both built to spec and setup correctly. I get that electronics in acoustic electrics can be different but don't most acoustics of the same design sound similar?

WordMan

Homo Logos
Platinum Supporting Member
Is there really such a big difference in acoustics once they have the same shape? I get with electric guitars, that the pickups, guitar shape, neck length, and what it's made from can impact how they sound a lot. However, with acoustics, I am on the fence if a $1000 acoustic guitar sounds much different than a $250 one if they are both built to spec and setup correctly. I get that electronics in acoustic electrics can be different but don't most acoustics of the same design sound similar?
Oh my, yes. Think of a flattop as a Speaker + Cabinet. The top is the Speaker and the back and sides are the Cabinet.

You can imagine speaker cabs of the exact same dimensions with a top Celestion speaker vs. some Radio Shack special, and a great Cabinet made of strong Baltic birch with the correct open back or porting, vs. something made of bad materials and of poor quality.

Make sense? Parts and Build Quality are everything.

A flattop with a great top wood and with well-carved bracing on the underside of the top, coupled with great tone woods and construction for the back and sides will sound, well, like Night and Day vs. the same shaped guitar with bad materials and quality.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Route67

By way of example, the Yamaha FG or FS 800 series is typically made of high quality materials - my guitar tech is always impressed with the woods used on these, albeit the finish is polyurethane (I think), and by appearance alone, my FS800 looks more “flashy” for lack of a better term than the Martins I’ve had - the rosewood on the Yamaha fingerboard typically is very nice even and straight grain - instead of a difference in materials (Yamaha makes sure to shape braces with the grain running the length of the piece of wood), it comes down to design - more expensive, better sounding and responsive guitars are much more delicate in construction and finish. Playing the FS800, the upper bout (where the fingerboard attaches to the top), is stiff, allowing only for the lower bout to fully oscillate. With a typical standard series Martin, the dovetail neck joint abruptly ceases to provide support to the upper bout, leaving a soft and supple area under the top that gives the Martins a depth and more complex tone. I’m not up on the modern braced Taylors, but the models I’m acquainted with have, once again, a stiff upper bout = a much brighter guitar than the dovetail Martins.

In short, design and delicate construction = higher performance in sound and responsiveness.

Beakertwang

Just curious--have you really not ever played a $250 acoustic and a $1000 acoustic, let alone a high end Martin or other top shelf acoustic?

Last edited:

Standby

Just curious--have you really not ever played a $250 acoustic and a $1000 acoustic, let alone a high end Martin or other top shelf acoustic?
I own two acoustic guitars priced between $150 and $300. I have never handled guitars over that price but I have heard them and didn't understand the price differences based on tones. My $300 guitar sounds like them and not +$700 different. I just buy cheaper guitars that don't suck.

Also I am seeing a trend of cheaper guitars sounding better and better.

My view these days is that many expensive acoustics are overpriced because of the name. Like some amplifiers are. That the tonal differences aren't that different to account for the price discrepancies.

Trending Topics