Which amp? Beautiful cleans for a pedal platform

BerkeleyJones

Hi gang,

The thread says it all. I'm quite satisfied with my tone for fly dates: I play blues and rock with a 335 through a '59 Bassman and bring Kingsley pedals etc for my dirt requirements. It's the easiest, and backline companies often just have a high wattage fender amp, hence the necessities for pedals.

HOWEVER, we've been booking many more local gigs and I'd love to have an amp with gorgeous cleans that can take high input signals from pedals well to lug around for non-fly dates. My current amps won't do it for me.

I've been looking at Matchless, Dr. Z, Princeton reverb, etc.

What say you?

Cheers.

Last edited:

67super

I use the Princeton Reverb in this way but it isn't a loud amp. That's ok because I play a lot of bar gigs and we always mic everything. If volume is no issue the Pro Reverb or Twin are killer.

BerkeleyJones

I use the Princeton Reverb in this way but it isn't a loud amp. That's ok because I play a lot of bar gigs and we always mic everything. If volume is no issue the Pro Reverb or Twin are killer.

Thanks for the suggestion, will check those out again. I should add the amps always are mic'd but higher wattage would be nice to avoid early unwanted breakup for certain outdoor gigs with a busy mix, etc.

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
yep...tough to go wrong with a twin...when i quit the road and started hauling my own gear again, a showman head and a light 2x12 took over the number one spot.

stevel

Twin Reverb is the standard to judge others by. Loud and Clean. Can be run quietly, but it's still clean. Breakup doesn't happen until it's impractically loud.

IOW, given the same volume as a 59 bassman, the bassman will be breaking up much more than the Twin (so will anything under a Twin, such as a Super, Pro, Vibrolux, Deluxe, or Princeton).

Really depends on where that headroom level needs to be. Twin makes it pretty much a non-issue.

But you might be able to get by with a Pro Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb if you're running them *moderate* volumes (and of course, "beautiful cleans" means different things to different people - but you can run any of these amps lower on their dial to keep them clean - it's at what volume they break up, and if that break up contributes to the beauty that will be the main issue for you).

Twins by the way are pretty heavy, so that's a turn off for a lot of people.

But the price difference between a Re Issue Twin and Princeton isn't enough to really make cost a major factor in your decision I don't think.

I'm actually surprised you haven't run into Twins on your backlines as they're super common. Or do you have a tech rider that requests the 50 bassman?

Anything Hiwatt flavored is considered to be an outstanding clean pedal platform. I have a '78 DR-103 that I use with dirt pedals out front. Thundering loud, chimey, dynamic, tons of headroom, and did I say loud?

If you are looking for a modern version true to the originals, check out Reeves Custom 50 or Custom 100, they are as close as you can get in a modern reproduction, based on the original mid-70's versions with Partridge replica transformers. Also available in a really nice 50 watt 1x12 combo if that form-factor suits your "lug around" plan better:

http://www.reevesamps.com/amplifiers/custom-50-and-custom-100/

Cheers
TRJB

BerkeleyJones

Twin Reverb is the standard to judge others by. Loud and Clean. Can be run quietly, but it's still clean. Breakup doesn't happen until it's impractically loud.

IOW, given the same volume as a 59 bassman, the bassman will be breaking up much more than the Twin (so will anything under a Twin, such as a Super, Pro, Vibrolux, Deluxe, or Princeton).

Really depends on where that headroom level needs to be. Twin makes it pretty much a non-issue.

But you might be able to get by with a Pro Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb if you're running them *moderate* volumes (and of course, "beautiful cleans" means different things to different people - but you can run any of these amps lower on their dial to keep them clean - it's at what volume they break up, and if that break up contributes to the beauty that will be the main issue for you).

Twins by the way are pretty heavy, so that's a turn off for a lot of people.

But the price difference between a Re Issue Twin and Princeton isn't enough to really make cost a major factor in your decision I don't think.

I'm actually surprised you haven't run into Twins on your backlines as they're super common. Or do you have a tech rider that requests the 50 bassman?

You make fantastic points. I used to play twins but I've just found that the bassman takes pedals a bit better, which is subjective of course, so I have the '59 requests don the rider. As you've said, the Twins 85 (I think?) watts far outweighs the Bassman so it can hold that clean headroom at much louder volumes. I just really love the Bassman sound.

Twins are very heavy as you've said.

BerkeleyJones

Anything Hiwatt flavored is considered to be an outstanding clean pedal platform. I have a '78 DR-103 that I use with dirt pedals out front. Thundering loud, chimey, dynamic, tons of headroom, and did I say loud?

If you are looking for a modern version true to the originals, check out Reeves Custom 50 or Custom 100, they are as close as you can get in a modern reproduction, based on the original mid-70's versions with Partridge replica transformers. Also available in a really nice 50 watt 1x12 combo if that form-factor suits your "lug around" plan better:

http://www.reevesamps.com/amplifiers/custom-50-and-custom-100/

Cheers
TRJB

Thanks for the suggestion, the 50 watt looks an attractive option!

BBBJay

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Deluxe reverb and had a Princeton either work for cleans at lower volumes with pedals, DR can get up there in volume, twin is real loud. Be the last clean amp you'd ever need though...

Major Dude

I'm weighing in with the mighty Carr Rambler at 40lbs, very hard to beat. Very portable, beautiful cleans and sings real nice with any drive pedal you can throw at it. The mid tone control offers up BF right through to the Tweed tones you're already accustomed to

I made the jump from a 61 Blonde Bassman and don't have a single complaint

jklotz

What's your budget? To me, the Redplate truverb is the ultimate clean pedal platform. Not sure if Henery is still making them, but I suspect he'd build you one if you asked nice. That thing is a clean beast!

davidespinosa

Gold Supporting Member
So you want: Guitar -> Pedals -> Amp

And you're going to mic the amp for the PA.
BUT you want to hear yourself directly from the amp (not through the monitors).
And you want to amp to weigh around 40 lbs (a Deluxe is 42 lbs).
Is that right?
How many watts do you want?

BTW, there are many threads about this -- search for "pedal platform".

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I have a Dr. Z Maz 18 and a Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and they are both great sounding clean w/with pedals. I prefer the Dr. Z on gigs because it is so flexible and I use the Fender almost as much prolly like 60/40.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom