Which Amp for Jazz... Fender or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by arched_top, Jun 25, 2008.

1. arched_top

arched_top Member

I've pretty much been a solid state amp guy when it comes to jazz guitar. When I play I like a clean, warm sound. I'm definitely satisfied with my solid state but lately I'm thinking that some tubes might be nice for fattening things up a bit!

I'd like to go vintage. The two brands that come to mind are Fender and Ampeg. I'm not an expert on the various Fender models, but I've seen certain blackface heads go for around $600. The Ampeg combos on the other hand seem to be a bit more than that. I guess it's because you're getting the whole package with a combo.

So what do you think? I'd also love to hear which models of each brand you guys think would sound best.

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Either...or a Magnatone 260 or 460 with some decent speakers...

3. doc

doc Member

Ampeg Absoutely!!!

I have examples of both. Most vintage Ampegs have octal preamp tubes, which for clean fatness simply slaughter 12AX7s. Fenders almost all have an edge on the top end that is great for country, not as good for jazz. Not saying Fenders can't sound great for jazz sounds, just that for clean traditional jazz sounds Ampegs were designed to deliver exactly that and do a great job of it.

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

how much does a good magnatone run these days? i know of a 460 that i don't need but kinda want to play for awhile...

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

A 460 in really good shape with original footswitch and cover and so on could conceivably fetch 1200-1400. But most don't get up that high. You don't see a lot of them but seems like many have some issues and they're more likely to get into the 700-1000 range.

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

Ampeg Gemini I but chuck the crappy Jensen and put in something decent, I recommend a Celestion G12-65. The stock Jensen they chose (C12Q) was the cheapest of all the Jensens and only thing about that amp that isn't fantastic.

7. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

You need this rig.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  8. Belmont

Belmont Member

9. improviduto

improviduto Member

Has anyone ever tried one of those Fender Jazz Kings? I've never seen one in town, so I can't try one for myself.

10. stan p

stan p Member

I just got a Roland Bolt 30 hybrid and it is very capable for jazz. I had good results in a 60-100 ppl setting with Traynor 2x10 conbo as well. You cannot go wrong with Ampeg for sure! Great detailed cleans.

11. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I've got a Gemini 6 which has a 15" speaker. It is a very cool jazz amp. I also have a solid state jazzmaster ultralight. The fender sounds great as well. For me, the ampeg feels great - has some give, and I never tire of listening to it whereas with the solid state fender, my ears can get a little tired of it after a while. From my experience an old fender tube amp would be dynamite as would an ampeg. My ampeg is manageble to move - an old fender twin or super - not so much.

12. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

My vote: Ampeg....almost any, but for me the GS12-R does it best. For jazz, it blows away my Fenders. All of 'em....