Which Amp for Nabbing Thick Plexi-ish/Trainwreck-ish Tones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zerocharisma, Jan 23, 2008.

1. zerocharisma

zerocharisma Supporting Member

I haven't been playing very long (bout 2 years on and off) but since this past summer I've been more serious and developing an ear for good tone. I'm pretty new on this forum and have learned a lot lately. The type of amp I'm looking for has to 1) be versatile and have a spectrum of tones going from a lush (doesn't have to be Fender/Vox) clean to downright mean and dirty; and 2) I gotta have some of the thickest, juiciest, crunchiest overdriven tube gain on tap (no pedals for me, please). Here are the amps I've got in mind right now:

1. Voodoo V-Plex: Dissect an ass kicking Marshall Superlead and faithfully recreate it--probably no better way to maintain the Plexi tradition. I also like the 50w and MV as I would mainly be playing at home--but I'm looking at gigging small venues in the near future. The spectrum of tones that I'm hearing on the website's clip is really impressive.

2. Germino Classic 45 - I understand this leans more towards the JTM45 which I also love. The cleans you can get are incredible and it sounds so smooth when cranked but that also concerns me: How well can it cut through a mix or band? Judging from the clips it may lack that punch that I'm looking for...probably due to the tube rectifier? Maybe the meaner Lead 55 LV would be more up my alley? But I'm also concerned about volume (call me crazy, but I don't think I'm for attenuating).

3. Reinhardt Jester - I know it's modeled after a 'Wreck but I just can't stop listening to the clips of this amp on Bob Reinhardt's website. Sounds so fat, thick and saturated. Also sensitive in that it responds well to a player's feel and dynamic. Only thing is I don't know how well it can clean up. To have the power scaling option makes it really tempting, too.

4. Reinhardt Ampzilla or Storm - for wicked El34 gain I don't which to lean towards. Bob told me the Ampzilla is more "in your face" and has more presence while the Storm is more faithful to a hotrodded Plexi/JCM 800 tone. Pete Thorn's Ampzilla clips just floor me every time!

I have nothing but the most respect for all the famous Plexi tones (Hendrix, D. Allman, Page, EVH, Slash, etc) but I also want something a little more unique. I play a LP nd a Strat and enjoy versatility. Out of all the options listed above I'm thinking maybe the Jester or Ampzilla would fit me best. Do you folks have any advice or suggestions? Anything else I should be considering?

2. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

If your looking for plexi-type tones, you're definitely in the right neighborhood! The key word in your description imo, is "unique". If you want plexi-type but unique, I think the Reinhardt is your best bet. I recently received my Reinhardt 18 (New Year's day) and it is a wonderful amplifier. They are Marshall-type amps but they are not clones, they absolutely have their own character. I have truly discovered my own plexi-style but unique tone w/ my 18, and Bob is an absolute pleasure to do business with. Good luck, hope this helps!

3. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I am on the search for the same type of amp and these are on my list:

Reinhardt Ampzilla or Storm
    Suhr badger 30w
    Reeves Custom Lead with high gain mod
    Kingsley D30 or D32
    Top Hat Emplexador (new version) - apparently this does everything from vintage plexi up to hot rodded marshall to perfection with a really godo master volume.

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Tophat Emplexador MKII

5. matte

matte Senior Member

carol ann od 2.
    i have both (the od2 and an "86 express).

6. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

The Suhr ML or SH 100-watt (don't know what it's called). Based on an early-70s Marshall of Mike Landau's.

Scott Henderson plays through it here... http://youtube.com/watch?v=GRsdADcJXww

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

On the cheap, the new Dr. Z Mazerati GT.

8. zerocharisma

Just got back from Tone Merchants here in Orange, CA and that Voodoo V-Plex just floored me...just what a Plexi should sound like but better. I didn't want to stop playing through it! After a good half hour of noodling Noel suggested I try their new 50 watt TopHat Emplexador for a different Plexi variation and man, I was speechless. Wicked gain, but fat and clear at the same time. Reminded me of Bonamassa's tone. With the fat and boost switches off and the gain knob turned down I got a really nice clean tone. The V-Plex also impressed me at how clean and bright it got when I rolled down my guitar's volume knob. Both amps shall haunt me...

9. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

no love for the Dr. Z Rt. 66 or KT45? These are great amps, no pedals needed, just a vol knob, and right pups and the right touch!

10. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

cat 5 is also doing some great Marshall voiced amps

11. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    What you are describing here reminds me of an Aiken Sabre.

12. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Man, does anyone know what "distortion" pedal he is stepping on there? Works really well the plexi-style amp....

Sorry for the brief hijack....

Regarding your question, if you want a lower-wattage type of head, the Sommatone Earl Slick 18 watter does exactly what you are saying. When I think of trainwreck, I think of the touch/volume sensitive clean-to-scream thing, and that amp has it in spades.

Thanks-

Steve

13. Roe

Roe Member

try a lead 55 lv with 6v6s (25w). or try a ceriatone expression

14. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Soultones JTM45 with power scaling is outstanding and within reasonable price,It nails a great tone cause it also has a plexi sw,that takes it to the JTM and plexi,and with the power scaling it achives that tone at club gigging volumes without getting compalints for being too loud,Only complaint will come from people telling you what great tone your amp produces!:drool

15. bosstone

bosstone Member

I heard a Germino Lead 55 LV with a Germino 2 X 12" cab loaded with Scumback 75's and was floored by how good it sounded. Its one of the nicest sounding amps I know of.

16. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

How were the master volumes on both of those amps?

God I wish that there was a dealer here where I live that carried stuff like that.

17. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Komet Concorde or maybe even a Constellation (really worth checking out if the Concorde is too loud).

18. Roe

Roe Member

i tried a emplexador today as well. sounded mighty good. almost as good as my metros. :D well, I haven't a/b tested them

19. zerocharisma

Great suggestions so far, everyone. I have yet to check out a RT66 or KT45 or an Aiken Sabre or Soultones 45 or Cat 5 or one of the Komets (though they may be outside my budget!) but I'll be looking them all up. That new Suhr amp does sound ridiculously good--I'm also wondering what pedal he's using with that Strat. Sounds really round and fat.

I was really surprised at how smooth the taper was on the Voodoo VPex's master volume. The knobs felt like butter and my guitar sounded good when the MV was really low and when it was cranked. The Emplexador was similarly impressive. I don't think it was quite as gradual as the Voodoo's. Lower than about 9 o'clock and you got a pretty sudden drop in volume, and vice versa. But after that the taper was really smooth and seamless.

20. dark

dark Member

Komet Concorde!