Which amp for Texas blues?

raildog

Please give me your thoughts on this, looking for the best amp to play with a strat for Texas style blues. I am looking at a D'lite 22 but all the clips are more jazz/blues though I like John Mayers tone I am not hereing it on the D'lite clips I have heard. second is a budda 18 or a goodsell 17, there again not hereing the straight ahead simple blues that I am wanting to hear on the clips I have found. thanks for any info.Scott:RoCkIn

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Assuming you're talking SRV style Texas blues, most of us are using Fender types and some pedals. Just about any 2x6L6 combo with reverb and a good OD/Boost pedal will get you there.

IMHO, Texas blues is more about feel and attack than specific gear. I can get there with a lot of amps. That said, my Boogie Mk I does it best for me.

Hope this helps -

Stormin!

nolenuttt

Gold Supporting Member
Hard to beat a Blackface Super Reverb and a Tubescreamer...You're there in a Flash!!:AOK

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Don't skip some of the Fenders. The SuperSonic comes to mind. Lots of folks make fun of them but play one for yourself. It has a neat feel to it and I think it sounds pretty good with a strat. Dorky name but tone's good.

actually a dlite with 6v6s will do a mighty fine job with the texas blues sound.Its just that most dlite owners are dialing in that Ford/Carlton tones which are a little less common in most amps. A dlite will do it in spades!

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure exactly what Texas blues sounds like, but the Sewell Wampus Cat is a texas amp. One of the great strat amps I've tried.

I'm getting great blues tone out of my Pure 64 amps. There are clips on the pure 64 site and on my website if you're interested. Here's a live clip:

http://www.warrenmann.com/live/11-15-07/Tore Down.mp3

It's "The 64" with a Small Fry.
that sounds great!

believe it or not, my marshall jcm 800 on the low imput channel is amazing for texas blues. crank it without a pedal and its SRV's little wing to texas flood. with my ts-9 i can get even dirtier blues. plenty of bass, i was knocking items off the shelves in my basement. for 800$ id say its pretty damn nice.

Pa'ani

Supporting Member
'65 Fender Blackface Super Reverb, Fender Bassman LTD great tones.

Warren your clip sounded great! Was that your Pure Sixty Four Meanstreet or just the Pure Sixty Four amp?
Also are you using the Pure 64 1x12 or 2x12 cabs?

Maven

Silver Supporting Member
Snider California ...check out Jeff's clips at

snideramps.com

amazing amp!

daddyo

If a cranked Super Reverb is good enough for Ronnie Earl and Tab Benoit, it's good enough for anyone. I have a DRRI because I like a lower volume.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
that sounds great!

believe it or not, my marshall jcm 800 on the low imput channel is amazing for texas blues. crank it without a pedal and its SRV's little wing to texas flood. with my ts-9 i can get even dirtier blues. plenty of bass, i was knocking items off the shelves in my basement. for 800$ id say its pretty damn nice.
+1 My JCM800 gives me some of the best dirt I've heard too. The only reason I didn't recommend it is that you really have no control over the volume like this.

Glad to see someone else is starting to pick up on the awesome cleans and dirt you can get out of that amp.

Trending Topics