Which amp for the classic Marshall sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fretnot, Jun 26, 2006.

1. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Hey amp gurus. I am looking for that Marshall sound in a lower wattage amp, maybe 30 watts or so...where I can get good sounds without being on volume 11! Enough to play a small gig with, but not a soccer stadium. I am not really familiar with these amps. I was looking for something to give me that crunchy Marshall gain, either a Marshall, or something based off of its design, i.e. Germino, Roccaforte, etc. Cost is not the main factor, so either Marshall or boutique suggestions are welcomed. Thanks guys!

:AOK

2. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Depends what type of Marshall sound I guess.....Voodoo amps has low watt amps.....V-plex (Plexi like) The Hex is very Marshall like, The V-Reck inspired by the Trainwreck, the CP-100, EM....I thin the 25 Watters are 6V6s....the 50W are EL34s

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

If you have a volume issue and are looking at the NMV Marshall sound then seek out a Maven Peal "Ganesha".

Best, Pete.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Member

My experience is that the Boutique Marshall clones just don't sound as real as an old Marshall. So my first choice is to buy the real thing. Yea it takes a bit more work (education) to find a good vintage one but it is worth it. If you want versatility and volume control the Ganesha is the top of the crop, no other new amp holds a candle to it. [​IMG]

5. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

There is a 50 watt Maven Peal Tuskadero (50 watts) on here for like $950 or so, nice amp.

There is a Peters Dual Channel on here also that is a really great amp, 50 watts with great master volume. That would be my pick.

New Vodoo, Splawn, Germino all have different pluses and minsues.

Old Marshalls are hit or miss and you never know what they will need or how much it will cost unless you have a good reliable amp tech around.

Just my opinion, as always YMWV.

6. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

check out bumbox amps, they can be voiced many differeny ways and don't cost an arm and a leg

7. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Aiken Intruder. EL34, 30 watts. Killer crunch. Killer cleans. Master volume, club friendly.

Steve E.

8. iggs

iggs Member

+1 on the B├╝mbox

www.bumboxamps.com

Great sound, very well made, good components, few little twists on the classic Marshall ... like my Lead50 with internally jumpered channels, 1987 Ali front with 2204 back, switchable ss and tube recto, Heyboer and Weber trannies ... etc. Just screams when cranked and loves dirt pedals.

Also a bit OT, Nate's got some new samples on his site of 2 new pedals he's coming out with, clips sound great (as far as mp3 sound samples go).

9. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

+1 in spades....

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

for the JTM45 sound, get a Germino Classic 45 and you'll have a tough time not loving it....for the max plexi tones, check out the Lead 55 and Monterey Classic, for the most flexibility and great tones with a Strat, check out his Club 40. Absolutely killer build quality, spankin tone and first class service by Greg.

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

For JTM 45 classic Marshall, you can't beat the Germino Classic 45. They now ship with EL34's and have a beautiful vintage Marshall clean and drive. Built like a tank. And Greg's super cool.

12. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

IMHO I think 50 watts is too much for smaller club. My 30 watter is on 3 or 4...anything less than that and you're choking it. My buddies Deville (60 watts) is on 2 or 2.5...not even close to a sweet spot.
    Do you need: Combo, head, clean headroom?
    There are plenty of amps that will give you Marshall crunch...

13. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I would like a head or a lighter weight combo, if they exist. I don't need 50 watts, but I wouldn't be upset if I found what I liked and it was 50 watts.

14. 8lbs8k

8lbs8k Member

My Germino Classic 45 is the best sounding amp I've ever owned. Flat out amazing. Classic Marshall in spades. I also own his Rock Grinder (50 watts) and a 1970 Super Bass (well over 100 watts). I've owned a SLP reissue and I've played through plenty of other old marshalls (mid-70s Super Lead, tube rectified JTM50s). I think the JTM45-style circuit is the richest sounding of the bunch. It doesn't have that chainsaw midrange, but it's not scooped out by any stretch.

It also takes pedals very, very well. The tube rectification in tandem with the inherent compression of a smaller output transformer eliminates the treble spike you often get from pushing the preamp harder. For my tastes, a lot of amps get an unpleasant little spike in the highs whenever you increase amp input levels with pedals. For example, my Super Bass gets awesome semi-dirty Hendrixy rhythm tones, but step on a pedal and there's a harsh, shiny bright edge to the attack. The Classic 45 seems to really just take the new tone and absorb it into the amp's tone. This sounds all weird and alien, but I think it's just a matter of lower headroom and an overtaxed tube rectifier.

Volume-wise, any of these amps are useable--and I know this has been said a lot in these parts: it all depends on the speakers. My Rock Grinder (again, 50 watts) is quieter with a 4x12 with greenbacks and weber silver bells than my Classic 45 (30 watts) into an open-back 2x12 with Vintage 30s!!! Pair the Classic 45 with a Mojo closed-back 2x12 with Heritage G12M 20-watters and it's really, really vocal-friendly and quiet. Too quiet for my tastes!! With a 4x12 with blackbacks, it's loud enough for a loud band. With a pair of Vintage 30s, it's roaring and will cut through anything.

Also, Greg's customer service is second to none. Even on 2nd-hand amps!!

15. kram21

kram21 Member

Maven peal ganesha or tuskadarro

16. jgyn

jgyn Member

Marshall JTM-45 reissue.

17. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

18. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

SPAM SPAM SPAM

Trade me your Goodall for my 1973 Marshall 50W head. :) I would obviously contribute cash to the deal.

19. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Steady...NOT a Goodall

20. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Either a JMP 50 watter, or a Roccaforte 18 watter (or 40 watter). Doug knows Marshalls & his stuff rocks in a way that only magic Marshalls do.