Which amp modeler has the best clean tones?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by slowpoke, Dec 17, 2009.

1. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

I'm looking for a modeler that will give good clean tones a la Fender and Vox. Which of these give the best cleans for going direct into a PA or computer? Any input would be appreciated.

bean PODs
    Vox Tonelabs
    Tech 21 Character pedals

2. jchan

jchan Member

IMO, all modelers do ok with clean tones. Its the overdrive and distortion that is a challenge.

All 3 of the ones mentioned do quite well. The Character pedals do a great job but only provide the one sound and no effects.

I think overall the Vox Tonelab ST would be the best overall box for modeled clean tones. It has decent effects and a built in expression pedal plus tuner.

3. 56_Special

56_Special Member

The character pedals that I've heard sound really good. They are cheap too! Their bass pedal is a go to for me.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

The character pedals from Tech 21 are very impressive for what they are. You might be very surprised. I own the British and even that one gets great cleans if you roll off the volume on the guitar.

5. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I would say that I like the Tonelab ST based on clips I've heard and the Character pedals from Tech 21. I have the Tech 21 Liverpool and I was pleased with the quick run through I've been able to do with it. I'd like to try the Blonde, it sounds like it has some really nice clean tones in it.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I can get very good (and very similar) clean tones out of both the Blonde and Liverpool. Blonde has more bottom end, Liverpool has a touch of Bulldog in the speaker sim and more mids.

7. V-Type

V-Type Member

All 3 mentioned are good imo.
    If you are patient at tweaking the Pod xt and x3 offers a ton of variations. Ive heard some amazing Line6 recorded cleans,crunch and gains on various sites and live.
    The Vox has less models but has a bit more character imo.
    Im almost positive the tube reactor of the tonelabs buffers and warms the final output just a tad.
    A guy I know at my local GC bought the Boss Fender amp reissue pedals on closeout and says they mimic the real deals quite well for both direct in and recording.

8. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

I thought the Boss Fender amp pedals were supposed to be used in front of a real amp. Is it possible to plug into the pedal and then go into a direct box/PA and sound like an amp? That'd be awesome since the Boss pedals are lower priced than the others mentioned.

9. mattball826

mattball826 Member

10. banjoze

banjoze Supporting Member

I haven't spent too much time with it yet and haven't tried for a Vox tone at all, but my AxeFx does great Fender-like tones. I also own a TonelabSE and it does pretty well too.

11. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I don't own any of them but...I've recently tested ALL of the major commercial modelers and IMHO I think the POD X3 did well.

Tonelab was decent but didn't really dig it.

RP500/1000 was good but couldn't stand the higher gain tones (like the Tonelab)

X3 Live was also good but was so high gain crazy it pissed me right off.

I own a POD 1.0 but I feel that the POD X3 was pretty reasonable and IMHO the best of the bunch...I just think it should be now priced around Au$500...not $899 that it has held for the past couple of years.

I woudn't pay the same as a Core 2 Duo PC from 2 years ago...same deal with the POD.

Listening Line 6???

12. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

They universally suck at this but the one thats sucks the least is the Tech 21 stuff.(at least it feels like your actually playing these.)

13. Rock72

Rock72 Member

The Tonelab ST does well for clean and semi - clean. I did prefer it over plenty of other modellers too. Forget about the presets on the ST and dial in your tone from scratch. You get some nice ones .

14. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

Correct, they ARE designed to be played through an amp and NOT designed to go DI. From what I remember it says this in the manual for these pedals.

I owned both for a while but sold both as I was disappointed with them.

15. Brooks

Brooks Member

yep. turn off everything effects wise, then try "US 2x12" (twin reverb) for clean, and "UK METAL" (marshall JVM) for dirty (w/ maybe some wha/delay).

16. espinete

espinete Member

I don't want to pay much for effects i won't use. Just a nice clean sound amp simulator.

Thanks in advance,
    cheers

17. espinete

espinete Member

After around 8 years ago of this thread , i guess there are better options currently

18. redmonda

redmonda Member

Depends on your budget.

The top modelers are currently Kemper, AxeFX II (orAX8), Helix and Amplifire.

You'll find a lot of opinions on these units, but they all sound terrific.

Atomic is allegedly close to releasing the AmpliFirebox, a stomp-version of the amp modeling in the Amplifire. It has very limited effects and is primarily an amp simulator (with IR loading).

If your budget is <$500, look at the Zoom products (G3 or G3N, G5 or G5N, etc) and the Boss modelers, Tech 21 pedal, Ethos Pedal, and Mooer Micro-Amps.

If your budget is <$700, look at the Amplifire (or wait for the Amplifire box)

IF your budget is ~$1,000, Look at the Helix LT or AX8

If your budget is >$1,000, look at the full Helix and AxeFX II

19. espinete

espinete Member

Thanks ! I've heard many good things about the Helix for fenderish clean tones

20. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Tonelab is a cool unit for the buck but no match for the Kemper [insert other topdog modeler if this post came from a dude owning another brand :)]