• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which Amp Modeler Is Used Most By The Pro Players?

jamme61

The Toxic State
Silver Supporting Member
Just curious - out on the road not recording - I know a lot of bands are switching because of cost. I see artist listed on all the modeler websites but who is really using them live on tour?

Ejay

My country…Netherlands…99% of the hired guns use kemper…judging from the ones I know. The 1% don’t use digital at all. I know of 1 guy using fractal…but he’s doing originals. (Hallebeek)

Voodoo Bob

Not easy to get a reliable figure on that, doesn’t really matter either. Top guys usually use whats sponsoring, regular guys tend to use what is easily available.

Yeah other than what's already known like Metallica, Animals as Leaders and few others escaping me right now. FWIW my good friend Tony who was a FOH Sound Engineer that travelled the world for many years with artists like David Bowie, STP, Godsmack, Pearl Jam and many others told me "more are using amp simulation than you think". This is a close friend and that's all he'd ever give me. He's retired and has no horse in the race, yet won't give up the goods. It's a pretty secretive business doing sound I guess.

Seems to me though it's Fractal.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Same as a professional driver, except with music…. :p
123.jpg

Voodoo Bob

I went and saw Dokken a bit ago and their guitar player (not Lynch) Had what looked to be a JCM800 half stack on stage. Thing is there was nothing plugged into the front of it and from what I could see zooming with my camera it was on standby. I couldn't see what he had in front of him on the stage because of my angle but he certainly was using something cos I could see him step on something every now and then.

primemover12

Depends on who’s paying this week! For a while, a lot were using Bias. I see videos for Neural and Mercuriall stuff too.

As for unpaid use, it’s hard to say. Hardware modelers, especially Kemper and Axe-FX are spotted on stage or backstage with everyone from John Mayer to Metallica. Plug-ins are much harder to guess.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom